1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, '50s-'60s singer Johnny Maestro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

UPDATE: Johnny Maestro died at his home in Florida today (March 25)

He fronted The Crests ("Sixteen Candles") and Brooklyn Bridge ("The Worst That Could Happen") and has headlined hundreds of oldies shows in the last 30 years.

But this post from an oldies board indicates a grave health situation for Johnny Maestro:

<i>"The news is not good. Johnny Maestro has a hospice set up in his home. The liver cancer appears to be terminal. Johnny is now down to 90 Pounds. With a heavy heart Johnny continues to put all of his fans first. He has issued the following message:

<b>"I would like to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for their thoughts, get well wishes and prayers while I am undergoing treatment for cancer.

I have been fortunate to be able to perform before the "best audiences", our loyal fans, for over 7 decades dating back to the late 1950's. There have been no better times for myself and the Brooklyn Bridge then when we are performing, singing the music that brings back memories of times that we all cherish and hold dear to our hearts. I am very grateful for the opportunity that has allowed me to do something that "I love" and to be able to share our music with so many people.

I want everyone to know that when I read your messages, it brightens my day and gives me strength and determination to get back on stage. Your support is the best medicine.

Best Wishes,
    Johnny Maestro"
    </b></i>

2. Re: '50s-'60s singer Johnny Maestro in failing health

That's just really sad news. I am only 34, but when it comes to music, I am my father's son, so to speak.. . . and my XM radio is regularly tuned in to the 60s' on 6. I suppose this time is coming for many of that era, but man, it's just sad. Jimmy Keyes, Levi Stubbs and now this. Sad days ahead

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Re: '50s-'60s singer Johnny Maestro in failing health

One of the great, great voices of my youth.
    Saw him at one of those Richard Nader doo-wop shows about 5 years ago and the man could still bring it.

Very sad news.

4. Re: '50s-'60s singer Johnny Maestro in failing health

The funny part is that a whole lot of them can still bring it. Some are obviously on their last leg and a little weak, but many haven't even lost a step

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

RIP Johnny Maestro

For him, this is truly the worst that could happen. Ugh. A great man with a great voice. "Worst" happens to be one of my favorite late 1960s songs. I'll keep him in my thoughts.

UPDATE: So much for what my thoughts could do. Johnny passed away last night. Aw man, there are going to be some 50s and 60s fans sad today.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Re: '50s-'60s singer Johnny Maestro in failing health

RIP to one of the greats of my youth

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/li-music-hall-of-fame-member-johnny-maestro-dies-1.1830104

Draft saved Draft deleted