1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP 30 Rock, Community, Parks & Rec

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 10, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Been a devotee of The Office since Season 2. 30 Rock, I just never connected with it. Don't really know why; I like the leads. Just didn't capture my imagination.

But right now, my must-see list on Thursday night is in this order:

1. Scandal
    2. Parks & Rec
    3. Grey's Anatomy
    4. BBT
    5. Community
    6. The Office

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They must have used the van negotiation tactics.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Scandal is a good show. Very good cast. I could see it getting stale quickly, but let's hope it doesn't.

I gave up on Grey's Anatomy years ago. I really liked it for awhile, but it got to the point where it was just too much, too ridiculous.

Big Bang Theory keeps getting better. I hope this show stays on for a long, long time. Love Parks and Rec. 30 Rock has seen better days, but is still good. I like Community. I'll watch anything with Alison Brie in it.

I was relieved that Rob got canceled. Just a dumb show that got great ratings because it was on after Big Bang Theory.

My guilty pleasure is Rules of Engagement. It's amazing that it's lasted long enough to hit syndication. Now it will probably never go away.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Also didn't realize NBC was doing two runs of The Voice. I checked out a few of NBC's new show previews. Nothing really stood out. Seems they're banking on a FlashForward/HungerGames mash-up called "Revolution" with JJ Abrams and Jon Favreau attached. And the new Matthew Perry thing seems like a cross between Community and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. And why they're even trying a firehouse drama after Rescue Me baffles me.

5. jr/shotglass

"Scandal" has had at least three monologues that I thought were Emmy-worthy, led by the criminally underrated Jeff Perry.

Whoever hasn't seen the show, doesn't matter. This is absolutely classic stuff.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Holy crap! That's that guy's name!

Remember the "That Guy" thing that Simmons wrote about? That guy is my main "That Guy."

7. jr/shotglass

And as good as he's been through the years, nothing has touched what he's shown in the past 6-7 weeks on this show. Stunning.

8. imjustagirl

The most recent thing I'd seen him as was Meredith's dad on Grey's. Also, he looks like Spader's dad.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I've always felt 30 Rock was the second-smartest comedy on TV, behind South Park. Community is the most creative. Now they're gone. Just sad.

10. imjustagirl

Jesus Christ. Read the thread.

11. jr/shotglass

You can call him Matt, dear.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sorry, but Scandal overplays every Shonda trope possible. It has good actors, but Rhimes cannot resist putting way too many words into their mouths, in the same staccato rhythms. She is the soap opera version of Sorkin, in that every character -- woman or man -- has the exact same speech patterns and verbal ticks. It's fresher than Grey's Anatomy because all the characters on Grey's Anatomy have become selfish narcissists. I'm frankly baffled that people don't laugh out loud at the absurdity of Scandal's premises three or four times an episode. The flashback episode was much better, giving me hope it may find its footing, but the whole show is just a trashy soap dressed up as a spy drama.

Draft saved Draft deleted