1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP 19'9" 3-pointers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 29, 2008.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Trivia:
    Who made the first 3-pointer in Final Four history and who took the final 19-9 3-pointer in Final history?

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Come back on Thursday.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I am, indeed, full of fail. That said, I at least outsourced my fail.

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=296959

Got the link from that thread, which was started today. I guess it doesn't qualify as a d_b over there (or worse, it really does take a year for news to reach down here.)

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And I have taken the liberty of pointing that out.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Have another on me, lady.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Just cracked my fourth. Thanks!

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

First would have been in 87. And the first game was Providence and Syracuse. So I'll go with Billy Donovan. Last: Chalmers? Unless there was a 3 in OT.

8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

21-4 is still a joke for the pros. I say 20-5 for H.S., 21-5 for college and 23-0 for FIBA/NBA

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The women's line stays the same. So much for Title 9.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The women have always had a slightly different set of rules ... keeps the game somewhat unique, and some of it hearkens back to the old 6-player days (a 19-9 3-point line doesn't, but some of the other stuff does).

For example, there is no 10-second backcourt violation in the women's game, but the 5-second closely guarded count *is* on in the backcourt. Also, the 30-second shot clock was in effect long before the men ever dreamed up the 45-second clock.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

ONE LINE FOR EVERYBODY.

I don't want basketball courts looking like pinstriped candy canes with three and four lines out there, dramatically increasing the chances of ref fuckups ("wait, he was behind the high school/women's line but in front of the college line, WTF??").

At the higher levels, the shot is **supposed** to be easy if the defense leaves the shooter open. That's the entire purpose of it, to force the defense to get out there and cover people. It's not supposed to be a desperation/fluke weapon that every team has maybe 1-2 people who can shoot it. Move the line way back, and that's what it becomes.

And women's rules should be precisely the same as men's, except for the different-sized ball. That's enough of an equalizer.

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Good guess on Billy Donovan but incorrect.
    The question was who attempted the last 19-9 3 in Final Four history.

Draft saved Draft deleted