1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Riot/Fight and gunshots outside MSG following HS championship game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by e4, Mar 19, 2007.

1. e4

e4 Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/2007/03/19/2007-03-19_12_arrested_after_bball_fight_at_msg.html

Mayhem erupted outside Madison Square Garden last night after a fight during a PSAL championship match between rival Brooklyn teams stopped the game as cops made several arrests, police said.

The crowd pouring out of the final between Boys & Girls and Lincoln high schools became so unruly that cops briefly shut down 42nd St., between Seventh and Eighth Aves., as they used mounted horses to funnel the mainly teenage throng toward subways.

Several gunshots were fired on 34th St., near Eighth Ave., but no one was reported injured, cops said.

"It's been two hours of mayhem," said a cop who was trying to disperse the teens who flooded Eighth Ave. from 34th St. to Times Square. "Kids got trampled all over the place."

In all, police made 12 arrests for disorderly conduct, four in the arena and eight in the street.

2. 12 arrests, all for disorderly, and eight of them on the street = "two hours of mayhem," according to the cops.
    That doesn't track at all.

3. boots

boots New Member

Only in New York.
    But on a serious note, I had an African American freind ask me what is the difference between a gathering (when it pertains to whites) and a crowd (when it pertains to blacks). I didn't have an answer for him.
    He said its the choice of words that gives an article the tone of it being a black situation or a white situation.
    I reluctantly had to agree.

4. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Actually, didn't something like this happen in Philly last year? I don't think any gunshots flew through the air, but there was definitely a brawl following a hoops game.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Substitute "gathering" for "Crowd" in this story and you'll see it doesnt fit for any race.

A "gathering" wouldn't pour out of the arena. Crowd gives a inference of movement and action; gathering is in place and little movement.
    Therefore, a crowd would pour, a gathering wouldn't -- no matter what the race.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Common sense and rationality have no place in discussions of race...

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i just think they could've come up with a better name for a high school than Boys and Girls High School.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

This shit's happening everywhere. Happened in Milwaukee a few months ago and the school district banned any fans from attending the rest of the regular-season games of the school that hosted the game.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Used to be Boys High, and was the home of Pearl Washington. I played against them in high school (post-Pearl). One of the scariest neighborhoods and group of fans that you'll see.

10. Sly

Sly Active Member

New York City Hoops: See The NBA All Star Crowds of Tomorrow, Today!

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I wasn't there, so I can't be sure. But here's a guess: If gunfire was audible, the description of "mayhem" is probably not too far off.

12. e4

e4 Member

it's a miracle someone pulled off shots in that part of manhattan and no one got hit, especially with a sports crowd pouring into the street

Draft saved Draft deleted