1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rio Olympics 2016: Winners get gold, losers get the runs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jul 30, 2015.

1. The Olympics have been boring for decades. Yeah, they have their moments, but I haven't paid attention to the Olympics since probably the Dream Team.
    I really tuned out when they went to the two year split instead of every four years.

And yeah, IOC corruption and widespread cheating.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The Olympics are the exact same thing they've always been. Whether or not you find them boring is based on how you've changed as you get older.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

And how hot the female curling players are.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Trick question. They are always attractive. Athletic women who bend over and yell "hard!!!!" at you.

Stoney, LongTimeListener and amraeder like this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I guess the Olympic ideal is still strong, though, in that its corruption has made me agree with you on something!

old_tony likes this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe I be more specific. The coverage is boring. The opening and closing ceremonies are boring spectacles of overindulgence and hyped by people without self awareness, irony, sarcasm or a sense of humor. Up Close And Personal is redundant. Different people with the same stories as last time.

Some of the sports are great even if you don't watch but every 4 years. Personally, I could do without basketball and more team handball

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The coverage reached maximum self parody years ago.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Up Close and Personal is the same schlock you find in sports sections around the country. Almost every single preps feature is rinse-and-repeat.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree. It's just slow day feature stories done in video. In my experience, the very casual sports fans who like the Olympics eat them up. If they're satisfying an audience, what's the harm?

10. heyabbott

Does Bob Costas know he is a pouser and preening schmoe ?

11. heyabbott

The harm? None. But why not just show, you know, sports?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Anyone here want to father Vonn's kid(s)?

Draft saved Draft deleted