1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ring My Bell-ell-ell, Ring My Bell

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Matt1735, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

For two hours tonight, a group of coworkers and I rang the red kettle bell for the Salvation Army at about five locations in our hometown.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me, but the one thing that was consistent this year (and in the past when I have done this)... the people who appear to be able to afford to give (well dressed and groomed appearance) walked by without even acknowledging us. The people who looked the most downtrodden and least able to give, did so consistently.
  2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The downtrodden are more down with Anita Ward.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I know a guy who usually dresses pretty well and is clean cut and he gives $100 bill to the first kettle he sees each season, and then happily ignores all the rest.

Maybe he's not the only one to do that kind of thing?
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if I am in the able to afford to give category, but I rarely just hand cash to random people who solicit me. I don't care what kind of props they have, or what they say. I have no faith they are for real or that the money is going to reach anywhere except their pockets.

I do give money to various causes, though. Just in ways I can be more certain it is going to reach where I intended.

I don't know if there are others like me, but I think anyone who hands cash to a total stranger could be getting suckered. In NYC, I get hit for money for various things every day. I have no doubt a percentage of it is straight BS.
  5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just never carry cash. If they had debit card swipers, I'd give every time.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

The woman/man in the suit may write large checks to charity every year as part of their income tax strategy. Whether or not they drop a quarter in the SA bucket isn't meaningful. That they feed 10 families a year at the food bank is.

The "least able" to give likely give much less by dollar amount. By percentage their donation may be the more dear.

Are we really going to judge either?
  7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Or just because they want to.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

I was just pointing out that motive doesn't matter.

Even money given cynically helps someone.
  9. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

I refuse to donate to the Salvation Army.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

I'll bite. Why not?
  11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

And I just wanted to point out that not all wealthy people give for tax purposes. Or cynically, for that matter.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can understand how someone who has a problem with evangelical Christianity wouldn't give to the Salvation Army.

That's not taking into account that since it is classified as a church by the IRS, they don't have to make their financial data publicly available the way charities do, and they refuse to hand it over to any of the organizations that monitor charities.

That's because their expenses are sky high and they know they will get low grades when compared to other causes.

By all accounts less than 50 cents on the dollar you fork over to the Salvation army actually makes it to people in need. Perhaps significantly less. And that isn't taking into account that there is a chance that the money might not make it past the kettle itself, if it is a scam artist with an official red apron on.
Draft saved Draft deleted