1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ring Lardner (and Grantland)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, Sep 3, 2013.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Second buckweaver. The "You Know Me Al" stories are great reading. I randomly found a copy of "The Annotated Baseball Stories of Ring W. Lardner, 1914-1919" in a used book store years ago, and I have read it cover to cover several times.

I have read Grantland Rice, and it's not the same. I put his newspaper work in the context of a place and time, and understand him for who he was. But he was not the writer that Lardner was.

Lardner has a more timeless, and obviously crossed into literature, quality. I put him side by side with Damon Runyon. Their abilities to capture language as it was spoken, mannerisms and make characters come alive, was special.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The writer Grantland owes most might be Tony Kornheiser, with his wealth of pop-culture references, detailed approach to humanized feature writing, crossovers into the style section and general smarminess.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Without Ring Lardner, the world would never have known Lonnie Lardner. And that would be a shame.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Or Ring Lardner Jr. (Academy Award winner), or George Jr. (Pulitzer winner) or Rex Jr. (Esquire, SI), or John Lardner (Saturday Evening Post) or James Lardner (WaPo, Inequality.org) or Susan Lardner (New Yorker).

Hell of a talented family, all around.

http://www.tridget.com/lardnermania/writingl.htm

5. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

FYI, new Library of American Lardner Collection due out soon.

http://thestacks.deadspin.com/ring-lardner-an-american-original-1214055929

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think John Lardner might be my favorite sportswriter of all time.

Draft saved Draft deleted