1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Riley Cooper

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Much ado about nothing. This is NOT akin to the Aaron Hernandez case.

From what I've seen/read thus far, none of this was directed at a teammate. (Hell, I've covered practices where the same comments WERE directed at teammates. Sometimes, players even get into fights in practice. Shocking, I know.)

It's just that in this age of camera phones and such, stuff that used to never go public now does. This sort of stuff happens quite frequently. And, yes, I've seen all sorts of people lose their cool when alcohol is involved, too. So it doesn't surprise me all that much. We do --- and maybe should --- hold pro athletes to a higher standard of conduct than the average Joe. And thus we are disappointed over and over again by their behavior.

But I am a little surprised at the uproar over the use of a word that I hear tossed about quite regularly in conversations. If someone wants to get offended over something, they surely will find something to get offended over.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The only question -- is Riley Cooper a good enough football player to go around calling people niggers?

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I should revise my date.

This thread may not survive tonight.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I say Cooper gets his first concussion in game 3.

He will be suspended for game 1, then get his first real bell rung in game 3.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In Gainesville? Yes.

In Philly? Hell no...

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Mark, the problem is that he made the remark, in a threatening manner, directed at an African-American security guard. One of his teammates tried to quiet him down but by then it was too late. Goodell, legally can's punish him further but it's clear he's torched some bridges. Players, publicly, are going to take the high road because, let's face it, they need a job. But you know there are some - black and white - who would like to have a one-on-one session with him.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

did he use the creepy ass cracker form, ***gers? Or did he use the hip-hop 21st century alliteration, ***gas?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

He used the form that can get that ass tapped or capped in any setting.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This isn't a test at all. The league will handle it before the Eagles get a chance.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh, I'm sure. I don't see what legal grounds a team or league has for cutting him, or even fining him. I suspect he's accepting this out of embarrassment and hoping the furor will go away. If he wanted the NFLPA to fight it, I suspect he'd have good ground. What's the difference between what he said and "faggot", "bitch", "M**** f****er" or any number of terms anyone in sports hears quite regularly? Not saying any of those are good, but I guess I've gotten used to hearing them.

Sadly, some athletes at all levels, not just the pros, can't even get through a simple interview without peppering it with profanity.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I love the white talk hosts who want to "expand the conversation" and talk about hip-hop artists using the term. Yes, if the word is bad, it's bad. And for those that don't understand context, when a white person says it, it is almost always in the demeaning and derogatory sense (I'm better than you) - in hip-hop it isn't.
    And sure, Whitlock has been all over this, and he's right. We should all want to set a better example for others - but white people thinking it's okay to say the word because black artists do? They really know better and are just looking for cover.

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

At my old station when I worked in NYC, I heard that word in the break room more than any other word. I remember hearing two Spanish guys dropping it every two minutes in a conversation, I'm sitting in the corner pretending to not hear it.

I started shaking my head, one of them asked me "what're you shaking your head for?"

I told him, "I'm not black, but if I was and you used that word as much as you two did in that conversation in front of me, I'd be out of a job because I'd have put your head through the fucking wall."

It's not okay to say, not even the way you guys used it on this thread, we all know what Cooper said, so why repeat it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.