1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Riley Cooper threats

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe the people threatening Cooper were drunk at the time and didn't really mean it.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Those that are sending threats are at least as awful as Cooper for making the original slurs. Cooper acted thoughtlessly these creeps are more malicious.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

"Blessed are the easily offended" said no Prophet ever.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Maybe Cooper was drunk and really didn't mean it. In the modern world, nothing you ever do or say while intoxicated should be held against you. That would mean having to take responsibility for your own actions rather than passing the buck.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Being drunk and stupid at a Kenny Chesney concert is no excuse. Nor is there an excuse for the Eagles to try and hide his miscue under the rug so to speak. It's obvious that this guy didn't attend any "sensitivity training" course over the weekend and the club wanted to give him a few days away from the team to defuse the situation. Couple that with former Eagles' standout Hugh Douglas' outburst at a charity event in Orlando over the weekend and I'd say it wasn't a great week for race relations concerning the bird.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You serious, Clark?

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I would let him go too, but I am not sure what this has to do with Kelly. Players have done far worse and not been released. Just because he hasn't been released doesn't mean Kelly is running his team like a college program. I agree that he is not worth the trouble, but maybe the organization sees it differently. Their prerogative.

8. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Gregg Doyel wrote a fantastic column about this.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/gregg-doyel/22982437/riley-cooper-can-learn-a-lot-from-chris-cullivers-example

It really is very good.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That is a very good column.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I don't think Riley was serious.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think he was either. He probably was drunk and he comes from an area where that word is used pretty liberally.

Does that excuse what he did? Absolutely not...

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Stupidity can't be defended.

Draft saved Draft deleted