1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Riley Cooper threats

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Aug 4, 2013.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

thanks for the answer. Was a little confused by your wording.

My opinion is that both were not good things to say regardless. I think a lot of people's frustrations stem from that players actually do things much worse (ie, assaults, drinking and driving), but "seem" to get a slap on the wrist and teammates turn the other way.

I also agree that talent has a lot to do with this. Star players have more leeway.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Tremendous post. I totally agree about not maintaining parallel lists. If it's wrong to use that word, it's wrong, period.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Oh baby. The Eagles are making a big mistake here. Should have kept him out a little longer. Kelly is running this team like a college team and it's going to backfire.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/Cooper-returns-to-Eagles-and-will-practice-Tuesday.html

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Cooper was fined by the team and was to undergo counseling.

What kind of counseling to you go to for using the "N" word?

5. cyclingwriter

He is p
    He is put in a small room with Ron Jaworski.
    Jaworski pours him some shots. Says it is cool. Jaworski starts complaining about Cunningham.
    Starts tossing around n-word.
    Cooper finally says n-word. Jaworski slaps across him the face for five minutes straight, saying "you will forget, you will forget."

Cunningham comes in. Jaworski walks out. They high-five.
    Cunningham writes the n-word on a chalkboard. Tells Cooper to say it out loud. Cooper does. Cunningham rolls his eyes, and says "has Jaworski taught you nothing."

Calls Jaworski in. Cunningham walks out. They hign-five. Jaworski slaps across him the face for five minutes straight, saying "you will forget, you will forget."

They repeat this until Cooper finally looks at the board and says "I see no word."

Then they all hug.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Well, it would be effective but I don't think that's what they have in mind.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agree with Joe, you google racist Eagle, Cooper's name is first on the list. It's probably the first time most people have heard about him and barring some extreme change in his career trajectory it will probably be in the first paragraph of his obit.

Words like N- F- etc. tend to reveal more about who said them than the people they are directed at.

8. cyclingwriter

likely not, but it worked for Strom Thurmond and Hillary Clinton

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was listening to the media session with Cooper the day after this story came out and you can hear Sal Palantonio ask him, "Do you understand about all of the people you hurt?"

It just sounded so fucking whiny and condescending.

I think given the context, what Culliver did is worse.

Both were incredibly stupid things to say, but I think after a big fine and an apology you move on. If the Eagles decide he's become a distraction, maybe you cut him loose. Considering the receivers they have, I doubt they'll do that.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just think it becomes laughable when any player has to go to Michael Vick and ask forgiveness.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The South Park solution would have been better

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Don't know what the South Park solution is but the best solution is for the Eagles to get rid of this guy as in yesterday. He's a marginal player. To have such a player alienate your locker room and that is happening as we speak, it's not worth it. Kelly is running this team as if its a college team. It's not. These guys are professional and they will go about their job with a professional approach but it will definitely cause problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted