1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Riley Cooper threats

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Now, it appears that he's receiving threats.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9537531/philadelphia-eagles-say-riley-cooper-told-team-threats

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Perhaps they're just lining up to answer the disgusting throwdown challenge he made on camera.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What is worse?

What Riley Cooper did?

or

What Chris Culliver did?

Discuss...

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Aren't we at the point, at least among adults, where the people who utter such garbage damage only their own reputations and hurt only themselves?

All these constituencies weighing in about how hurtful Cooper's comment was -- with redundancies like "vile slur" and characterizing one ballistic word as a "rant" -- seem like school marm's wagging their fingers over very, very, VERY obvious bad behavior. They also seem overeager to position themselves favorably for their own purposes.

Our culture has advanced to the stage, IMO, where those words -- while a bad example and maybe confusing/troubling to youngsters -- are so clearly offensive that they stain those who use them. Who gives them any weight or credibility in hurting others?

Pretty outrageous that this guy might lose his livelihood over a word spoken stupidly and in anger and even in bigotry, when locker rooms across sports have forgiven all sorts of sociopathic and criminal behavior that has literally spilled blood or damaged lives and property.

What I also found ridiculous was Kornheiser's belief that, yes, certain words can only be said by certain people. What a load of crap. I'm fine with drumming certain words out of existence entirely, banishing them to the dark forever -- the 'n' word (race), the 'c' word (gender) and the 'f' word (sexual preference) should be inaugural inductees in such a Hall of Shame -- but the idea that we should have to maintain parallel lists, one of bad words and the other of the people authorized to say them or not, is asinine.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Neither one is cool Mizzou. Before tearing up his ACL, Culliver slurred a large group worldwide. However, the gay community is small and still a closeted segment of the NFL. Cooper slurred a group that comprises 67 percent of the league. That wasn't a smart thing to do.
    Right now Chip Kelly is trying to run an NFL team like a college team and that go-team go crap isn't cutting it. There's no way you can bring this guy back into your locker room. He's a marginal player, at best. He's created a major distraction. Let him go.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The answer is: People who looking to profit off of it.

Jesse Jackson says hi.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

where is Tony Dungee and why hasn't he offered to baptize Cooper in the warmth and forgiveness of his holiness?

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

How long until this thread gets locked, just like the other one Drip started?

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

KYSportsWriter, you're worried about a thread getting locked because I started it? That's totally asinine in thought. I wasn't the cause of the other threads being locked. Read the threads and you'll actually be hard-pressed to find many of my posts.
    Here's a rule that you and a few others should abide by. If you're not mature enough to give an opinion without appearing to be an idiot, DON'T POST!!!
    If you don't like the subject, MOVE ON.
    It's really a very simple thing to do.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Getting threats doesn't surprise me. That stuff happens all the time. I once got a death threat from a fan of a certain team who was upset with something I wrote. Nothing came of it.

I guess the thing that hits home for me on stuff like this is that if you're going to express yourself in this day and age, you need to be prepared to deal with the fallout from the PC crowd. There are certain groups of people I absolutely deplore, but I'll keep my opinions to myself in public forums.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

so there is a difference between "smart" and "wrong"? Following that logic, it is smart if a player cheats on his wife because there are no women on NFL rosters?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Neither of those guys made a smart decision Cyclingwriter.

Draft saved Draft deleted