1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Riley, as seen in Schenectady

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Upper Tupper, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Who's all over Brian's ass, boots?

Funny, come to think of it, that "ass" would be the word you chose.  :D

I think more people have been debating Upper than killing the column. I think Upper is wanting the world to rip Riley for reasons that don't make much sense to me.

In any case, whoever posted the column didn't do Brian any real favors.

2. boots

boots New Member

I didn't have a problem with the column. I saw what he was trying to do. Yes, he could've been more anecdotal but it still served the purpose. People in Schenk, at least at alma mater, don't relate to him and what he's doing.

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

This might be a bit of a stretch, and it's a point the columnist didn't make, but this is also a bit of a story about upstate New York, which, as they say about Iowa, is a nice place to be from.
    The exodus from places like Schenectady, Rochester, Buffalo, etc., to places like LA, Miami, etc. is pretty sad. Schenectady's a town whose best days are probably behind it. And its perhaps-most-famous-son doesn't come back much any more, or mean much to the kids growing up there.
    Like I said, perhaps it's a point this columnist wasn't trying to make, but it's a theme that runs through many stories from this part of the world. And the way he ended made me think of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted