1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Righties, I know, I know. In war, soldiers die.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

You wanted a way out of Iraq, I provided one. But just like the Neocon puppets who chirp "anti-american" when the beloved dictator is criticized they ignore real solutions.

Like the one proposed by our puppet in Iraq:

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki had a surprise for President Bush when they sat down with their aides in the Four Seasons Hotel in Amman, Jordan. Firing up a PowerPoint presentation, Maliki and his national security adviser proposed that U.S. troops withdraw to the outskirts of Baghdad and let Iraqis take over security in the strife-torn capital. Maliki said he did not want any more U.S. troops at all, just more authority.

The president listened intently to the unexpected proposal at their Nov. 30 meeting, according to accounts from several administration officials. Bush seemed impressed that Maliki had taken the initiative, but it did not take him long to reject the idea.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/20/AR2007012001446_pf.html

The real reason we won't ever leave, we won't ever trust the ones we "freed and were showered with flowers" with real military force. They'll never have an airforce.

You have seen the video of Iraqi soldiers right? literally shooting shotgun from the back of a pick up truck. They don't have armored vehicles.

W is shackling his own colony.

We're their for good folks.

And yes, W is the worst president ever. We're going to MArs bitches.

2. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Hondo spouted this drivel:

This thread is a perfect example of how this country would not accept casualties on even a moderate scale, whether the war was justified in some minds or not. If the current crowd on the left, whether in Congress or among the voting public, were around during WWII, we would have pulled out of the war with Germany after we lost the first battle of North Africa at El Alamein; or pulled out of the Pacific after the fall of the Phillipines. The fact remains is that we have to confront Islamic facism sooner or later and if previous presidents (and I include Reagan and former Pres. Bush) had dealt with the problem, we wouldn't have the situation we have now.

If W was around for WWII he would have bombed South Korea.

We could have confronted Islamic facism in PAkistan. But, W turned a blind eye to a "friend" who provided Nuke technology to the Axis of Evil. Now, how are we going to attack Islamic facism with 160,000 soldiers and $100 billion a year letting Afghanistan return to its past glory of world supplier of opium and and Iraq spiral deeper into a world of Meccaca.

So, yes we should do as the Dems suggest, fund more special ops to get in, kill the evil doers and get out. Where's Osama?

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Even I can figure out the quote function.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Why should we have to accept casualties? My life isn't on the line. Your life isn't on the line. George W. Bush and Dick Cheney's lives aren't on the line.
    None of us should be so brave with other people's lives.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

The difference between WWII-era America and 2007 America is a complete and utter ignorance of the importance of sacrifice. America became a great country not because of economic power or military might, but because Americans (over many generations) understood there were ideals (like freedom) that were greater than themselves. We're too fat, happy and self-absorbed nowadays.

Smallpotatoes,
    I hope your worldview eventually extends beyond your nose.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'd say you're right about the "ignorance of the importance of sacrifice," but for very different reasons. The WWII-era Americans understood the sacrifices being made by those men on the front lines -- the ones risking their lives for all of us -- and refused to ask those men to take that risk until every other option was off the table.

When the reasons are right for war, the people of the country support it. When those reasons are wrong, shit like Iraq happens.

This thing in Iraq isn't WWII, and no amount of spin from anyone will get it there.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

We did everything we possibly could to stay out of WWII. When we were attacked, we went after the attackers: we knew who they were, and we defeated them.

After 9/11, we went right into Afghanistan and toppled its government. Afghanistan didn't attack us; its leaders didn't attack us. The person in charge of the group that did attack us? He got away.

Then we went into Iraq. Iraq didn't attack us; its leaders didn't attack us. Its leaders, in fact, did not even consort with the person in charge of the group that did attack us, although our government lied and told us they did. But we toppled their government and the ensuing conflict begat a civil war.

We still have not found, let alone killed, the person in charge of the group that did attack us. Our president says he is not a concern. Imagine FDR saying that about Japan in, say, 1944. The idea is laughable.

Don't try to equate this to WWII. This is NOT comparable to WWII.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, Buck, how about you and dog not be so quick to compare it to Vietnam, either. Deal?

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Re: Righties, I know, I know. In war, soliders die.

Didn't you invent the strawman?

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're probably right about that. But it is a favorite thing for many to do. :)

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Lamar may be struggling with the quote function, but his posts are excellent. A breath of fresh air to this board.

12. And we were all asked to sacrifice exactly when? And the people who are sacrificing in a war based pretty much on lies that three-quarters of the country agrees has become pointless.
    Tax cuts in wartime? Never in the history of the world. But, then again, the war(s) are being conducted off the books.

Draft saved Draft deleted