1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Riggio to take Barnes & Noble Private?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 25, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Can this possibly be a good idea?

It sort of mirrors Richard Schulze's attempts to take Best Buy public. Each of them founded the company, and saw it through tremendous growth. Now, both are struggling, thanks in part to internet based competition, but each have outlasted their primary bricks and mortar competitor.

Throw in Michael Dell buying back his company, and we've got a trend.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Money's cheap right now ... when money's cheap (and plentiful) you get lots of takeovers and buyouts and the like.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yep, Dell just announced this kind of deal a couple weeks ago -- $24 billion.

Must also be nice to get away from Wall Street and the impossibility of any strategy that takes more than three months to implement.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Any comment from Freqposter? Or is he a silent partner in this?

5. YankeeFan

Could the end be near for B&N:

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I had two books I wanted in my cart at Amazon, discounted from the "retail" price to about 36 bucks for both.
    I have an actual kindle, plus the app on my iPad and iPhone. But I still like to read an actual book here and there.

However, I was able to get the Kindle version of these books for 21 bucks. Saving myself 15. Could start reading as soon as I hit the "buy" button.

I love books. Lots and lots of books. Not sure it makes sense to ever buy another one.
    So I'm not sure how a bookstore can survive as I'm not the only one who sees this, right?

7. YankeeFan

A mass market store? No.

They need to be huge to offer a wide variety, but they'll never be able to stock everything Amazon does, nor offer the convenience or price.

And, if Nook is dead, there's no reason to expect a better future.

I can only see niche book stores surviving.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

A lot of what Barnes & Noble sells in the stores are not books. There are games, gifts, a cafe, etc. They also have an online place and I enjoy that. Barnes & Noble has adapted better than most bookstore chains, but it may be that they make the best buggy whips.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Moddy, I'm a lot like you. I have an e-reader and like it but I still like having books around.

I'm buying fewer and fewer books though. Basically, if it's not written by a few select authors I really like, I buy the e-book. I still enjoy going to bookstores though. Except now I'm usually there to browse and if I see something I like, I add it to my list and buy the e-book.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I don't know about the end but there was good news for authors yesterday when Barnes & Noble reached a deal with Simon & Schuster relating to pricing, orders and placement. My wife has some S&S authors and this had been killing them as Barnes & Noble had been ordering fewer books from the publisher (if you see, say, a display of just Penguin authors in your store, they're paying for that and that sort of thing was involved in the fight).

nyti.ms/1alCbd1

NY Mag had a good piece on the relationship publishers have with B&N.

nym.ag/13duH45

Draft saved Draft deleted