1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Riff on Casty's thread: Is there anyone else who hates Frank Sinatra music?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have read plenty about Frank and while I love his music he was a complete fucking asshole, an insecure bully who treated everyone in his life like shit - except for his mother.

Those looking for an excellent critical appraisal of Frank's music are advised to check out Sinatra: The Song Is You by Will Friedwald.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

'Hating' Sinatra is like hating DiMaggio or Mays. It's possible, certainly, but you have to acknowledge the greatness whether or not it moves you personally.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That is the answer.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I'm a boomer. It was my parents' generation who loved Sinatra, not us.

6. poindexter

No, I won't. If you flew me in from another civilization, and made me listen to 10 professional acts, I would rank sinatra last. I hate his wooden, tinny drone.

And I don't differentiate from early sinatra to dying. All bad.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm a Gen Xer, although I hate the term, and I klove Sinatra.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Again, you don't have to like him to acknowledge the mathematical fact of how many records he sold. His stature exists apart from your personal preferences.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Did anyone really 'like' DiMaggio? He was enormously respected and envied even, but 'liked'?
    I grew up being forced to listen to William B Williams and WNEW playng endless Big Band and Sinatra and grew to hate it like spoiled milk. But listen to "It was a very Good Year" and tell me it's not a terrific piece of music.

10. poindexter

This thread had nothing to do with how many records he sold. I didn't start a thread to question his popularity or records sold. I thought that was a given.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You want to eat your cake and have it, too.

It's fine to say you personally hate Sinatra's music. But I'm not sure how you can deny his stature in the field.

12. poindexter

Seriously? You are going to split hairs over this?

I don't think he is a great singer, at all. Thus, when you wrote, you have to acknowledge the greatness I wrote that I won't. I don't think his singing is great. I think his singing blows.

Why in the F would you bring up acknowledging his "stature in the field"? Is that even in doubt? Did I say anywhere where I think he isn't popular, or didn't sell tons of records?

The whole point of this thread was that I understand how popular he is, but I hate his songs, and asked if anyone else agrees.

You are creating a whole argument about his place in the hierarchy that nobody is disagreeing with.

Draft saved Draft deleted