1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ridin' That New Dehli Freight Train

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lono, Dec 7, 2007.

1. lono

lono Active Member

Firing workers, to serve advertisers better.

You just have to love the newspaper business these days.

http://www.sacbee.com/103/story/546862.html

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, see how much the advertisers like having random words misspelled in their ads, or sentence structure that doesn't quite make sense.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Those New Delhi dollars will spend really well with Sacramento merchants... hope ad sales plummet. But that would lead to more layoffs and more outsourcing....

4. Had a buddy who works for Lee Enterprises who was laid off on Thursday, along with 10 others.

Merry Effing Christmas.

5. American business can freaking blow me.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Slappy gets it.

They'll wonder where all the f-----g customers went, soon enough.

Hell . . . they're already wondering, now.

Wait.

7. joe

joe Active Member

I would say "unbelievable," but, sadly, nothing surprises me anymore.

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Have you ever been to those newsrooms. Smells like tumeric all over.
    I am figuring no loss to the fired workers.

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

This comment struck me the most:

"The late Eleanor McClatchy, in a casual noontime discussion with Bee employees at the company cafeteria, said: 'My father told me our business isn't to make money, it's to make a great newspaper.' I was there and never forgot.

"Long live the McClatchys."

Wow. Just... wow.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Figuratively or literally, because I know you feel George Bush should do the same, and Hillary Clinton too, and Fox... and if St. Rudy of the Towers has to be there too -- well, there just isnt enough to go around...

11. Almost everything involved in the process is long and distinguished, slap.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here's a thought. Where I am now working, in a strange part of the information business, they had to shitcan all the foreign outsourced work and hire Americans, for quality reasons. That's why I have a job there. And believe me, the company president is as aggressive a profit-seeking empire builder as there is going.
    But he has this weird notion that you attract more customers with a better product, and that's how you make money.
    Obviously, he would not fit in the newspaper business.

Draft saved Draft deleted