1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ride, Sally Ride -- RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Jul 23, 2012.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So sad to me that this has become part of the story. These women had a 27 year relationship, known to family and friends...and now it's labelled as a 'coming out' because Ride's partner was acknowledged in the obituary.

Great line from Ride's sister, Bear Ride: "There are those who are stubbornly ignorant, and if they want to continue in that, God bless them, but probably best not to talk to my family."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/first-female-us-astronaut-sally-ride-comes-out

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Before we condemn anybody, has anyone made an issue about her sexuality?

I've seen it mentioned. I've seen it noted as interesting, or even celebrated. But, has anyone criticized her, or her sexuality?

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not my point. Why is it even notable? She lived her whole life not making an issue of it, and now it's the lede in today's stories about her passing.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not that I've seen.

That said, it will be interesting to see if the Boy Scouts do anything about this ...

http://www.scouting.org/stem/Awards/Venturer_Supernova_Awards.aspx#ride

5. YankeeFan

It was the last line in her Times obit. Her partner was mentioned along with others as someone who survived her. (And, it pointed out her role in Ride's company.)

I think that's appropriate, and would be a glaring omission to leave out her life partner. (And, if I'm the life partner, I'd be upset at not being acknowledged.)

If other media is treating this as the lede, that's stupid. It's not "news".

But, again, from what I can tell on Twitter and Facebook, it's supporters of gay marriage/rights who are trumpeting this bit of information.

It's just as absurd of them to focus on this one fact, at the expense of the larger story of her incredible life.

Sally Ride is a role model, and an inspiration, regardless of her sexuality.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That had to be emotionally grinding for her, since she had worked closely with all 14 members of both crews.

I think between 1986-2003 NASA had something like 100 astronauts on active duty, which meant your chance of getting killed in that period was approximately 1 in 7.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's new information readers find interesting. We call that news where I work.

8. dmc

dmc Guest

Its noteworthy because as more "normal" people are identified as being gay, the thought is that it will become easier for people to see that it is "normal". Probably not very well stated by me, but hopefully the point is clear.

9. Is there any more vicious form of cancer than pancreatic cancer?

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You're right, it really shouldn't be notable.

It probably just stands out more, because her obit lists her divorced husband as a survivor along with her 27-year partner.

11. YankeeFan

So, if you had independently confirmed this "information" about Sally Ride last week/month/year, you would have considered it news, and run it?

Whose sex life are you currently investigating?

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The news girl on CNN this morning said that ride was "survived by her parents of 27 years and her partner." Oof!

Also, did anyone see the footage CBS was showing of President Reagan speaking to her over speakerphone while she was at a press conference. Reagan had a line to the effect of "Sometimes, the best man for the job is a woman." The look on her face was priceless. She tried to form her face into a smile but looked like she wanted to rip his head off.

Draft saved Draft deleted