1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ricky Williams: Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Feb 8, 2012.

1. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

We will see in 2017 when Ricky is eligible.
    Go watch his highlight film from 2002 - he was clearly on a HOF track.
    Clinton Portis - who also has a chance - is eligble in 2016.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

With all due respect (or not), you cannot project Hall of Fame stats onto a player just because he missed a few years, especially when he missed those years so he could smoke pot and didn't want to even play the game. I chuckle a little bit every time this thread pops up in my Recent Replies feed.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

You haven't yet given a single compelling reason based on what he actually did, not what he could have been.

4. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Um, excuse me.
    This is not a courtroom.
    I am not standing trial.
    I raised his candidacy because he will be on the ballot, whether you like it or not.
    And they have let many CHUMPS in before, far less deserving than Ricky Williams.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think you could argue that there are about 5-6 backs who wont make to Canton who would make it with one more 1200-yard, 8-10 TD season.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd love to see who you have in mind, but I don't think that's true at all.

I'm definitely leaning toward this being another HOF parody thread except that, unlike with Chris_L, it didn't have enough sarcasm to make everyone see the joke.

7. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

I will name a few:
    Howey Long, for one.
    Maybe you can explain to me why Jack Butler and Les Richter deserve to be in.
    Other than - regrettably - being near the grave and ignored by the panel for over 30 years.
    Ignoring the rest of the crap in your message.
    I'll hang up and listen (something you should do once in a while)

8. LongTimeListener

I don't know who Howey Long is, but if you're talking about Howie Long, he was the big star of a defense that led his team to a Super Bowl, then the two years after that he was first-team All-Pro. Hard to quantify by stats, but I don't remember there being a whole lot of question about him, so I am thinking you are some kind of Chargers or Chiefs dork who just didn't like him.

Jack Butler and Les Richter, I will defer. Way before my time and beyond my knowledge level.

You'd have a hard time making a case for Ricky Williams being one of the top 10 running backs of his era. Tomlinson, Alexander, Jamal Lewis, Edge James, Portis, Faulk would be well ahead. Priest Holmes, Frank Gore, Brian Westbrook maybe in same category. That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are a lot of other names I'm leaving out but you get the point.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Aside from quitting in his prime, coming back and getting suspended, then bouncing around for years as a journeyman with a long trail of stems, seeds and wasted potential in his wake, he's qualified to be in Canton.

10. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Name one good coach Williams played for in the NFL.
    One.
    If you never had a good boss, you might say the hell with it and go smoke some herb in the Australian bush also.
    He played for a long line of washups, FRAUDS and jokers.
    Who abused him.
    A few of the worst coaches in the game over the last 10 years.

11. LongTimeListener

By that logic every Oakland Raider since 2002 is going to the Hall.

This has to be trolling.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If Earl Campbell played behind Seattle's line and did not have to face Donnie Shell (one of the greatest hits in NFL history) then the Seahawks have at least two SBs and Campbell might have rushed for 4,500 in two years.

All these backs mentioned here are good, but Campbell played in a different league.

Draft saved Draft deleted