1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ricky Williams: Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Before the usual "Dick is a fucking idiot" ball really gets rolling down the hill, I want to make sure and note that the Campbell-Alexander comparison was only in regards to productivity over a short period of time - basically two guys with five great seasons. Similar to how people compare Pedro Martinez's career with Sandy Koufax's, even though one was a righty and one was a lefty. I didn't see Earl Campbell play and I'm not comparing their style. I swear I am not moving the goal posts here, either. They are just two guys with five outstanding seasons, and one is in the Hall of Fame. That's all I meant. I promise. And it's all I intended to mean. I swear on whatever you want me to swear on. You guys say Campbell was tougher, better, whatever it is, I'll take your word. I just meant career arcs. I promise.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

No need to get shook up about it. I think Eddie George is a better comparison. And Alexander was better than George, who averaged only 3.6 yards per carry.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I just wanted to make it very, very clear exactly what I meant before it got entered into evidence as an example of me being an idiot.

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I was thinking Faulk came in the same year (2000). Obviously wrong on that. Anyways he was on pace for No. 2 on the list. Most of the top ones came after 2000.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You talkin' to me, motherfucker?

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

I'm just stunned that a thread based on the ridiculous premise that Ricky Williams has a case for the Hall of Fame could get to three pages.

And Dick, I think you're snakebit. Gather yourself, think tough thoughts and get back in the fray, son.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Top yards from scrimmage seasons, 2000 or earlier

1. Marshall Faulk (1999) 2,429
    2. Barry Sanders (1997) 2,358
    3. Marcus Allen (1985) 2,314
    4. Edgerrin James (2000) 2,303
    5. Eric Dickerson (1984) 2,244

Williams was "on pace" for 2,254.

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Actually George and Campbell are great comparisons. He was the modern day Campbell. Take the rock and plow ahead for four yards. He had 300+ carries in each of his first eight seasons including more than 400 in one. He was then done after his ninth season. He got run into the ground like Campbell did.

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Like I said I was thinking Faulk was after when I first posted it so I was taking him out. I did miss Allen is my skim of the list.

10. Herbert Anchovy

I don't know what he'll be like at 50, but George was an extraordinary physical specimen. I read somewhere he had like 2 percent body fat.

If there was one guy who shouldn't have worn down, it was him. But we are all flesh and bone.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Precision doesn't work around here. My advice is to fire up the tanks and keep them rolling.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

"Doctors smoke it ... nurses smoke it
    judges smoke it ... even the lawyers do"

I can't be the only one who got this reference. Nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted