1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ricky Williams: Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's not going to get in, but this is a more interesting discussion that some of the other names that have been brought up.

If he hadn't retired, he probably would have easily had another 2,000-3,000 yards and 15-20 touchdowns to add to his totals. I think those estimates are pretty low and that would put him among the elite backs.

All things considered, it's pretty amazing that he got to 10,000 yards, which at one point meant something, but there are quite a few backs who have passed that mark in the last decade that will never get close to Canton.

What if? What if? What if?

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

1520 touchdowns? I think he'd be pretty secure in getting in if he ran for that many.

3. Mizzougrad96

I have to stop posting from my Kindle. :D

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why are we assuming that Shaun Alexander is not a Hall of Famer?

5. Mizzougrad96

It's kind of interesting... There are 26 backs who have rushed for more than 10,000 yards and 15 of them have come since 2001.

Three are in Canton (or have been voted in): Martin, Faulk, Emmitt
    One is a lock to get in: Tomlinson
    Two seem like pretty decent bets: Bettis, Edgerrin
    Two seem like longshots: Watters, Taylor

And seven have no chance: Williams, Barber, George, Jones, Lewis, Dunn and Dillon.

Of the other 11 who have passed 10,000 yards, Otis Anderson is the only one not in the HOF.

6. Dick Whitman

Obviously the game has changed. I'd like to see the offensive totals per game from the '70s and '60s compared to today.

People use different statistical conversions to convert baseball stats all the time. I'd like to see that pick up some steam in football, as well.

7. Dick Whitman

In 1971, the Dallas Cowboys were the top offensive team in football. They averaged 359.6 yards per game.

In 2011, the New Orleans Saints were the top offensive team in football. They averaged 467.1 yards per game.

8. Mizzougrad96

Man, if you had told me in 2003 that Alexander wouldn't make it in I would have said you were high...

He just fell off the face of the earth. I suppose he could get in. I'd consider him a longshot, right there with Fred Taylor and Ricky Watters.

9. Dick Whitman

I think of Alexander as kind of like Earl Campbell.

10. Mizzougrad96

I don't see it. As you pointed out, different eras. Rushing for 1,500 yards was a lot less common in 1979 than it was in 2003.

Statistically, they are similar. Very close in yardage, and Alexander had considerably more touchdowns.

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Yes, a serious discussion with 3octavefart. Gotcha.

He never experienced Linsanity, except maybe during his suspension.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

During his walkabout in Australia, Ricky achieved visions that were Hall worthy.

There should also be a wing in Canton devoted to holding a press conference with your helmet still on your head.

His bust should sit next to Joe Don Looney's.

Draft saved Draft deleted