1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ricky Williams: Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Feb 8, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If he doesn't make it, I'll be pissed.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But at least the Blazers learned their lesson when it came time to choose between Greg Oden and Kevin Durant.

3. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Wasn't talking about Ricky. Williams isn't a HOF. However, your first statement is just flat out wrong. Gale Sayers made it based on what he could have been. He was great for a very short period of time and then had his career end due to injury. He didn't deserve HOF just from his years int he NFL. He got it because how great he was AND could have been.

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Nice try but not the same at all.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

That is incorrect. Gale Sayers is in the Hall of Fame because of what he did, not what he could have been. He's in because in his brief career he did things no other player had ever done before and was so spectacular and productive in doing so that it was clear he was one of the greatest football players who ever lived.

He is no more in the Hall for what he could have been than is Sandy Koufax.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Gale Sayers most definitely did enough in his too-short career to be a Hall of Famer, independent of any what-could-have-been sentiment.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This. 1,000 times this. Cubbie, have you seen Gale Sayers on film? The guy was clearly one of the best who ever played, short career or not. And which of my statements is flat-out wrong? I didn't really make a statement, just threw out some stats.

Of the primary running backs on the all-time ypc list, the only players ahead of Sayers are either still playing or in the Hall, with the exception of Mercury Morris and Bo Jackson. It goes way beyond that with Sayers, and it is interesting that Barry is right there with him, because they were among the most electrifying running backs in history. If you disagree, you must be a Vikings fan or something.

5. Jamaal Charles (25) 6.1 2008-2011 kan
    7. Marion Motley+ 5.7 1946-1955 2TM
    10. Bo Jackson 5.4 1987-1990 rai
    15. Jim Brown+ 5.2 1957-1965 cle
    21. Mercury Morris 5.1 1969-1976 2TM
    Felix Jones (24) 5.1 2008-2011 dal
    DeAngelo Williams (28) 5.1 2006-2011 car
    27. Gale Sayers+ 5.0 1965-1971 chi
    Barry Sanders+ 5.0 1989-1998 det

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

To answer your thread title: No way!

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

One of the greatest comments about Jordan was "then play him at center."

Watch all 11 minutes, including the defensive plays. Everyone knew he was special, but Portland wanted a center like Walton.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As has been said millions of times, Sayers is the Koufax of football.

11. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

I see the usual suspects have ruined a funny thread - with their usual terrible, unfunny jokes.
    Uncle already.
    You guys got to do better than this.
    If you're testing your laugh lines on us then I hate to see the material your wives get.

Draft saved Draft deleted