1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rickles... still funny

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, May 16, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Not at all. "Sharkey" was awful. The sitcom format was never able to capture what made Rickles special.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I thought it was OK; they kept the "hockey puck" references to a minimum. Considering the utter crap NBC telecast during the late 1970s, it was better than average.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I saw him at the Desert Inn in Vegas about 10 years ago. He was awful. Insisted on singing three or four songs. And I was always a fan. He was pretty good on Letterman the other night, though.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Saw Newhart the year before last. He was fantastic. 'Course I would fall down laughing if he was just up there adjusting his tie. If only the two of them would do a show together ...

YHS, etc

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I heard that, too. Funniest part of the story is that Joe Pesci got all pissed off when Rickles started in on him.

6. Wow, I didn't realize that always was part of his act. Interesting.

I do remember the Carson cigarette box incident. More hilarious than anything that was on "CPO Sharkey."

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Funniest part, how? Funny like it's a clown, like it amuses you? How the fuck is it funny? What the fuck is so funny about it?

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Dare I say, super-funny.

http://www.misterkitty.org/extras/stupidcovers/rickles1.jpg

http://supermanica.info/wiki/images/7/7d/Goody.jpg

I loved him when he was the lousy thief and then inmate on the Dick Van Dyke Show. But this graphic stuff, I don't get.

YHS, etc

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

To Bubba Smith...

"If we put peanuts on your face, we could have a candy bar."

Something like that, but I remember that Bubba looked like he wanted to kill him. Good times.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Rickles was on Larry King one night and Larry asked him if he'd seen Sinatra lately. Rickles starts into his Frank riff, how he's all mobbed up etc. and Larry goes to the phones and takes a call from Palm Springs. It's Frank..."Hello, Don." Rickles goes crazy, asking King why they don't screen the calls better and how he'll need someone to start his car for him. Don't know if the video's out there (I'd doubt it, it was years ago) but it was some funny shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted