1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rickey, Rice are in

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jan 12, 2009.

1. mb

mb Active Member

Guess the writers of Rice's era must have been the biggest assholes on planet earth. Because he got a grand total of 29.8% from the guys who, you know, actually covered his teams/his era. That's a whole hell of a lot of guys keeping him out purely on surliness.

Not that it's not WONDERFUL that everyone got all touchy-feely in his final years of eligibility and decided to give him a free pass.

This isn't a guy that was stuck on 70% for 14 years. Guy started ... STARTED ... at 29.8.

Foolishness.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Lollygagger after he left the A's the first time.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Bizarre.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I remember hearing that some voters would skip a guy on his first year of eligibility because the bogus "first year of eligibility" status had taken on a life of its own -- a status thing, as if people making it in Year 1 were somehow automatically a cut above. Think this got really silly when people were saying it about a guy like Willie Stargell, as if he belonged in the same breath with Ruth, Mays, Mantle, Aaron, etc.

I even accepted it, figuring that a few votes not cast for a guy like Gwynn or Ripken or Henderson wouldn't prevent from getting in anyway. And I shared the distaste for the "first year" club, as if those guys were riding in first class and other HOFers belonged in coach.

But then I saw where Henderson is the 44th guy to go in on his first year of eligibility, which ought to muddy the waters on "extra-greatness" enough to end the uncast-ballot-as-statement thing.

I guess we've still got several different types of guardians of the Hall: Those who think no one should go in unanimously because none of the game's previous legends have, those who don't want someone's vote percentage to top Tom Seaver's or Ripken's and those who don't vote for anyone in his first year of eligibility. Add in a few guys who had personal grudges with Henderson or disapproved of something he did or happened to be Lou Brock fans or whatever, and I can see getting 28 unchecked boxes, no problem.

I voted for Henderson, but I enjoyed my 15th consecutive year of not voting for Jim Rice. So we can have a deal on induction day: He won't have to thank me and I'll tune in only long enough to hear Henderson's speech.

5. mb

mb Active Member

Now maybe we can all move the love train to Blyleven -- another guy with no business being enshrined.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If there's still a board five years from now, you're on!

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Totally agree. The whole 15-year-window thing is absurd. I'm OK with some guys being first-balloters, since that's become a measuring stick within the measuring stick, but if you're not an HOF'er the following year or the fifth year, forget it. It's a farce. (EDIT: What Joe Williams said)

As for Rickey's non-unaminous vote, aren't there a couple stragglers in the voting ranks who don't put ANYONE in because Rose isn't officially on the ballot?

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

He absolutely does and he certainly deserved to be a more than 95 percent guy... The 28 voters who did not have him on their ballot should have their votes revoked -- particularly the moron who voted for Matt Williams.....

9. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Rickey deserved a much higher percentage of the vote. Yes, he was...unique. He was also tremendously quotable, for what that's worth to a few selfish voters.

Never mind that he was the single greatest leadoff hitter of the modern era, the personification of modern baseball strategy and the holder of numerous hallowed records. Think about just how much he accomplished *after* he broke the steals record.

I cannot fathom failing to cast a vote for Henderson.

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Rickey was 2-5 that game with an RBI and a RS. Just FWIW.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Henderson could have been a model citizen whose defense never declined and spent his entire career with one franchise and he still would not have gotten the unanimous vote because a few jackasses will never allow anybody to get in unanimously.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

There are some intriguing names on next year's ballot....

Fred McGriff
    Robby Alomar
    Barry Larkin

I don't know if any of those three are locks.

Draft saved Draft deleted