1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rickey, Rice are in

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jan 12, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

How about you fuck yourself in the ass? :D

2. No, you didn't. You don't have a vote. You're not even a member of the BBWAA.

You probably should stop lying about it. Thank you.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Rice can thank this BALCO era for that boost in votes. If not for increased scrutiny behind the numbers of hitters these days, he never gets in.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's a good point, Oz. Hadn't thought of that, but it sounds like one way that he might have gotten a few more votes.

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

congrats to Jim Ed! As a kid.....my favorite player.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Dawson -- 67 percent
    Blyleven -- 62.7 percent

Both have three more shots, and they're trending up. Enough to make it to 75 by then, tough to say. Dawson might be benefiting from Oz's point about BALCO. Blyleven is benefiting from the multiple postings of him in this T-shirt (for those of you who missed Zeke posting it the first time.)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Drip

Drip Active Member

ok. you know more than I do.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What percentage did Henderson get? Obviously, he wasn't a unanimous selection, which is the real joke because there is no possible way you can make a logical argument that he doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's possible, or, the voters were just dead wrong in his early years of eligibility, influenced too much by the fade at the end of his career and his dickheadishness in general.

Time has a way of working things out. Minds change, people are viewed through a different prism. Spnited said something along those lines on the other HOF thread and he was dead right. Nothing is absolute.

It will be proven again when Tim Raines eventually makes it. His percentage of the vote is criminally low. That should be what people are up in arms about.

I can't. I'm too busy fearing Jim Rice! :D

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Rickey Henderson was one of the greatest players of all time.

He has to be considered the best lead-off hitter of all time I would think but he to me is a very underrated player when we talk about greatest of all-time.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Rice got a few more votes not b/c of BALCO, et al, but b/c of the constant hand-wringing over the big bad mean voters who kept Rice out b/c he was a big, bad meanie as a player. In the end, Rice was such a bad guy that people went out of their way to vote for him to prove the BBWAA DOESN'T hold a grudge.

A complete joke. I can understand Sutter and, hopefully, Blyleven's resumes improving over 15-plus years. Not Rice. He was just short when he retired in 1989 and he should have been just short today.

Dawson next year, Bert in 2011. Book your trip now, Zeke!

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Henderson received 94.8 percent of the vote. Seems a little low, huh?

Draft saved Draft deleted