1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rickey only thinks Rickey deserves attention from Rickey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, May 9, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

If there's a little kid next to me, I'd probably duck out of the way and let him get it. If my competitive instincts took over and I snared it, I'd give it to him. I'd keep it if I was the only adult in the section.

Seriously, dude, you're defending Rickey Henderson catching a foul ball and not giving it to a little kid. Think about that.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

I know that, just saying, I'm alone, it goes to a kid nearby.
    My kids are there, goes to one of them.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I've caught 100 balls in batting practice. Easily. I stopped keeping them after the first dozen, and ended up giving most of those away, too. Hopefully, those kids went out and played catch with their friends the next day like I used to when I was their age.

I refused, however, to give any balls to those fucking asswipes who sneak in the nets/suction cups/poles so they can dig out free balls that fall behind the fence. Those fuckers can rot in hell.

But the 9-year-old who flinches every time he hears the crack of the bat during BP? He gets a ball, if I can help it.

4. boots

boots New Member

Did it ever occur that catching a foul ball is fun, even for a guy like Rickey?

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sure. And I think it's amusing that Rickey still gets a thrill out of something like it, after all these years in baseball. That's very cool to see.

But you give the damn foul ball to a kid. It's the right thing to do.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

We're not debating the catching of it - it's what he does with it after.

7. boots

boots New Member

Maybe, just maybe, it was the first freaking foul ball that Rickey ever caught. Maybe he wanted to keep it for himself. I don't find much fault with that. Hell, I've been to many games where grownups didn't give the foul balls to a kid.
    This becomes a story only because Rickey did it. I see your point. I hope you see mine.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

I see, just very, very strongly disagree.

9. boots

boots New Member

I have no problem with your view.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

if i catch a game-hit foul ball on the fly, no little snot nose brat is getting it.

if it lands near me and i pick it off the ground, will probably go to a kid. if someone tosses it into the stands and i catch it, it goes to a kid. if it's bp, it goes to a kid.

but if i catch that motherfucker on the fly, it's mine, bitch

side question, what do you do with a ball hit to you in the press box? my first instinct is to drop it down for some little brat. but, well, a couple of years ago i was covering a game and in my notes, andruw jones was saying he threw a ball in the stands after the third out, someone wasn't looking and got hit and then sued him. i'm not sure i'm taking that chance. yeah, i know

11. boots

boots New Member

I pretty much feel the same way. If you are a competitor, you're not giving a fairly catched foul ball to just any little kid.
    That's why I didn't have any problem with Rickey's stance.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you're over 12 years old, why do you even care if you catch a foul ball?

Draft saved Draft deleted