1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rickey Henderson/Jim Murray/Wikipedia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by James307, Dec 2, 2008.

1. James307

James307 Member

Noting today that Rickey Henderson leads the ballot for the next Baseball Hall of Fame voting, I took a look at his Wikipedia file. It's nicely done, and includes a few great passages from sportswriters who knew of what they wrote.

Jim Murray, for example, said: "Rickey Henderson's strike zone is smaller than Hitler's heart."

Man, is Jim Murray missed or what?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5 years ago i tried to imagine how a conversation between rickey henderson and james brown would sound, with shaquille o'neal as the moderator.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Rickey don't need no Hall of Fame.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If it's true that Ricky was a 40-something minor leaguer sitting down every day to play cards with guys who would never sniff the majors, then Ricky just is baseball.

I have never met the man, but I think there is a lot of good old fashioned baseball there.

5. Songbird

i'd like to think he is as close to a unanimous selection as you can get.

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

The greatest columnist ever. Could turn a phrase like no other.

7. James307

James307 Member

Jim Murray, yes. He may have been the best.
    But there are a few others I read as a young guy who I really appreciated:
    Red Smith, Mike Downey, Rick Reilly (in his prime at SI) and in recent years Scott Ostler, Ray Ratto, etc.

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

- Rickey Henderson, on whether or not 50 percent of major leaguers use steroids

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rickey Henderson and James Brown share an oddity of sorts. Rickey was born on Christmas Day. James Brown died on Christmas Day.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Quentin Tarantino was born on March 27. Billy Wilder died on March 27th. What an oddity of sorts, people being born and people dying.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If your Little League was like mine circa 1979-83, a lot of kids tried Rickey's stance, just for the fun of it.

12. Songbird

I was in Little Little circa those years, and my stance was a combo of Steve Garvey and Dusty Baker, and the results were a batting average like Vic Davalillo.

Draft saved Draft deleted