1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rickey be hitting coach for the Mets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jul 12, 2007.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Reyes has actually gotten a lot better at that. He's on pace for about 90 BBs this year, if I'm not mistaken.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The same way Joe Gibbs told his players as began his second tenure "I may not know your names now, but I'll know you by how you get into your three point stances."

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As a Washingtonian, so did I. But now I'm telling stories of The Chief and Zim. And Frank Robinson still is a tough sonofabitch.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Boy those are some bad stories you're telling today!

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hmm, I've got Ruth, Mays, Aaron as my top three (in order.) That's easy.

Wagner, Bonds, Cobb, Gehrig, Musial are next.

Then Williams. Then Henderson. That's my top 10.

After that, you're in the range of E. Collins, A. Rodriguez, F. Robinson, K. Griffey Jr. Then Mantle, Speaker, Schmidt, Foxx, Rose.

No DiMaggio (wasn't the same after WWII). No Berra (Bench is ahead of him for catchers anyway.)

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Named best hot dog by two no-talent ass clowns who would make Michael Bolton look good in "Office Space."

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yogi was better than Johnny. By about 2 lengths

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No way. Bench was the greatest defensive catcher in history (with Pudge II a close second.) Berra was a liability behind the plate when he was young, and a liability in left field when he was old.

Plus, Berra didn't lead the league in any single offensive category, ever.

He's a three-time MVP for many reasons. But there's no effin' way he's better than Bench, who by the way was a two-time MVP.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can't argue too much with that top 10. The list with Foxx wasn't mine. I'd put him out behind Bonds and Henderson, too. I'd probably put DiMaggio ahead of Wagner, but I can see it the other way, too.

Doesn't take much to nudge me into putting Henderson in the top 10. I have always been a big Rickey fan.

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

The Yankees would put Ruth in the non-sun field (right field at Yankee Stadium) and Bob Meusel in the sun field. This happened as late as 1927, and perhaps even beyond that.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I've always loved Rickey Henderson. He's a first-ballot guy all the way; he helped define the lead-off position, spanned generations and had an incredible 11-year stretch.

Draft saved Draft deleted