1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rickey be hitting coach for the Mets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Re: Ricky be hitting coach for the Mets

Great headline, smitty.

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

First ballot all the way. Maybe the greatest leadoff hitter of all time.

3. bomani jones

bomani jones Member

I remember there being a story in SI a few years ago where Olerud confirmed that hte story wasn't true but said, "it sounds like it could be true." Or something to that effect.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

84 career leadoff HR.

No one is even close, I think Biggio has 44 or something like that.

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Rickey was named the best hot dog of all time by ESPN. Oh boy!

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

My all-time outfield has Ruth, Frank Robinson, and Aaron starting. Mays comes off the bench with Rickey.

And I think Rickey may be one of the most underrated players too, because of his outsized personality.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Gotta go with Buck-Dub on this one. Say Hey all the way ...

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bias? Perhaps. Robinson was and is a tough sonofabitch though.

9. The Verducci story says the Olerud story was printed in many publications ... I seem to remember reading about the alleged incident in SI, under the headline something to the effect of , "It's Rickey's world, we're all just living in it."

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Stan Musial and Jimmie Foxx were the names brought up ahead of Bonds (I don't agree with all of those, but I can see them in the ballpark). I'm not sure I'd put Henderson ahead of any of that group. I was being conservative with top 20. I can see top 15 though.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

can't disagree with your list but I just want to add, Yogi. 3 MVPS and 4 other top 5 finishes while playing the toughest field position in sports. He was MVP on teams that had Joe D and Mickey Mantle

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If Rickey teaches Jose Reyes how to take a walk -- something pretty much no leadoff hitter seems to want to do -- then his work is done.

Draft saved Draft deleted