1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Telander on American Football--Five Books interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lcjjdnh, Jan 19, 2012.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Member

Another excellent interview from the folks at Five Books. Focuses on the "Dark Side" of football, discussing books such as North Dallas Forty and Semi-Tough.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here we go again.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

These come around like clockwork, don't they? Still, I think Telander (and Gent and Jenkins and Meggysey, et al.) are a necessary counterbalance to the mainstream cult and culture of big money football.

Can't separate the game from its central metaphors; shouldn't have game day without the existential anguish, too.
  4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

In all fairness, TheBrowser is a British site, maybe the topic hasn't yet reached cliche status there.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Football has no dark side.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Counterbalance is good. I read all the books he mentioned and liked them all. Bootleggers Boys was a surprisingly good book.

The counterbalance side though needs to find some more spokes people other than Telander who seems to have a love hate relationship with the game. A few years back he wrote a glowing tribute to the game.

He did make an error in talking about one of the books on his list - You're OK. He said that Dean Steinkuhler and Mike Munchak played for the Raiders when in fact they played for The Oilers.

"He talks about Dean Steinkuhler, a tremendous player for the Raiders, who had 13 knee surgeries and another guy, Mike Munchak, a great player too, who had nine surgeries on his right knee alone."
  7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Boom -- Like you, I was pleasantly surprised by Bootlegger's Boy.
Draft saved Draft deleted