1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Telander - Back to Hating The Game Again ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

For years Telander seems to have a love hate relationship with the game he played.

Seems to be moving back to "hate" again"

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/telander/2431468,CST-SPT-telander25.article

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: Rick Telander - Back to Hating The Game Again

That link wasn't about Telender or how he feels about football.

It was a story about the work that Chris Nowinsky has been doing for the last few years, trying to gather brains of ex-football players so they can study them and try to learn more about the trauma of collisions and what it does to you. They have gotten some brains of former players who died in their 40s and 50s (Andre Waters, for example), who had severe damage that explains some of the problems they had coping in life.

Real Sports did something on Nowinsky last year, I believe, and he's been getting some attention, because the NFL and NFLPA did everything they could to avoid looking at the issue of the longest time, and now there is evidence that football itself is dangerous to your health -- it isn't one, two or more concussions that create the degeneration of the brain, it's the constant trauma that is a necessary part of playing the game.

It's a solid column by Telander. Hopefully it makes some people think. Ted Johnson, the former New England Patriots LB, has had a ton of depression and coping problems over the last few years and he points specifically to some concussions in which the medical staff pushed him to get back on the field almost immediately. He has had months where he is holed up in a room feeling unable to shower or even brush his teeth. When he's talked about it, he says, it is one thing if he knew the risks and chose to go out there and play, but he is bitter because the risks were never presented to him. He was just pushed to get back out on the field and practice with a concussion, if necessary.

3. Boom_70

Disagree - Telander is once again ringing his hands about the game he played.

I've seen Nowinsky speak at clinics- Never overwhelmed. It leaves me pause that one of his sponsors is a new start up helmet company - Xenith.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What about what Nowinsky has to say do you find underwhelming?

His book, Head Games, was pretty compelling and his effort and passion for pursuing those brains of dead players has led to pretty conclusively linking football to chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

Rick does have a habit of "what ifs" when it comes what he knows now and what he should've known then.

With that said, it's 2-1 now, on the side of Telander's piece.

Agree to disagree.

6. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5333971

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The average life span of an NFL player used to be 54. I am unsure what it is now, but with the bigger, faster, stronger players, but I am going to guess it is very close to 54.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/29/Sports/A_huge_problem.shtml

This is not from twisted ankles and broken ribs. 2+2=...

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I liked the column, but I think the subject should have stood on its own, rather than Telander relating it to his Northwestern days. It was compelling enough reading about Hilgenberg's widow.

Nowinsky also was a WWE wrestler for a while, until concussions took him out of the ring. He lobbied Vince McMahon to stop the chairshots to the head, and for once, Vince listened. WWE wrestlers no longer hit each other in the head with the chairs (just the back).

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

So what? I don't mean to be confrontational Boom, but so what if Telander is against football (most notably college football)

10. Boom_70

It's fine to disagree. It's suppose to be a discussion. Just pointing out that Telander view of the game seems to change like the weather.

A few years ago he wrote a book called "Like A Rose" that was a glowing tribute to the game. He even alluded to his love / hate relationship.

Worth a read - its a good book.

Don't get me wrong I like his work and have read enough of it to see some discrepancies. Just wish he would make up his mind. My sense is that he has another book in the works.

Draft saved Draft deleted