1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly's piece this week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Loblaw, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Q-Bert

Q-Bert Member

Headline Writing .000002

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Or using a lameass headline and then making it BIGGER THAN YOUR MASTHEAD!

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, you're right...that looks really bad.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Broke a pretty ironclad rule for a lame headline, and took away the impact of a fairly solid photo, I thought.

Of course, the story sucked, too, so I guess that's synergy.

5. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

I usually enjoy his articles...

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Just finished my SI copy. Seemed like Reilly spent 20 min on that "column" and then churned it out. I'm like skinsnoles -- usually enjoy reading his stuff but ... eh... mediocre content this timearound.

7. Reilly spends 20 minutes or less on most of his columns based on how they read. Then there's five or six every year where he actually puts some effort into them and ... BAM! They just knock you upside the head. Goes to show what a terrific columnist he could be if he didn't mail it in 90% of the time.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agree- I gave up half way through trying to figure out. It made my hair hurt.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I think this makes at least three threads pertaining to this week's SI. Just sayin'.

For the record, I agree on the Tiger story (shit) and Reilly column (lazy, but mildly entertaining). And I'll add the Verducci piece was a fantastic read.

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

The shark jumped Reilly a long, long time ago.

He's just not relevant anymore, except maybe once every eight or ten weeks.

It's pretty sad..............especially if you're Rick Reilly.

11. Q-Bert

Q-Bert Member

Except for the part where he has an entertaining column in the most important sports magazine in the country.

But yeah, poor Reilly. We should throw together a few bucks and send it to him. Maybe organize a pot-luck or something.

12. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

I havent read his articles consistently in a few years...mostly because Sports Illustrated is not worth the money. All i want to know is, who's on the cover, and will he/she/they suffer from "the curse."

Draft saved Draft deleted