1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly's Homecoming

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jan 9, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just started on ESPN 2 - don't know what to make of it. Kind of a "This is Your Life" kind of thing with Josh Hamilton in his high school gym with hundreds of friends and family in the audience. John Elway is next week.

I think this show might be the perfect warm-up for the season-premiere of "Howie Do It."

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Howie Do It is on right now too. But Josh Hamilton is hot and Howie Mandel is not. Win!

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I don't get why people like Howie Mandel or think he's funny. It totally escapes me. I remember he was good as an actor on St. Elsewhere, and then shocked to find out that A., he's a comedian and B., totally unfunny.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but his stand-up back in the day was frickin' hilarious. Saw this one special where he performed in a round (with a rotating stage) and a woman got up to use the bathroom. So he heckles her a bit on the way out, nothing too spectacularly funny. But once she got out of the theater, he got everyone in her section to stand up and switch places with the people in another section. When she came back and found herself confused as hell about where her friends were, he really lit into her. It was pretty goddamn funny.

The guy's not an all-timer, but he definitely has his moments. I'd say most people who hate him these days are mostly only familiar with his Deal or No Deal overexposure. He's got a lot more talent than probably 80 percent of the people on TV.

That said, I have no intention of ever watching "Howie Do It."

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I remember watching him do stand-up in Bobby's voice (from "Bobby's World"), and it was pretty freaking funny. Not so much the material, mind you, just the foul language coming from cute little Bobby.

[​IMG]

6. DanOregon

Quickest and most thorough thread-jack in SportsJournalists.com history.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Apparently Mandel has such bad OCD and is such a germaphobe (sp?) that when he stays in hotels he makes them cover every square inch on floor with brand new towels before he will set foot in the room.

Howie used to be very, very funny... That was a long time ago.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, the germ thing with him is really strange. Always fist-bumps on Deal or No Deal, no handshakes. I hope he at least hugs his kids.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Always loved the Algonquin roundtable wit of Mandel's surgical-glove-over-his-head-and-blown-up-like-a-balloon trick.

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

And he takes something like a dozen showers a day

11. DanOregon

From what I saw of the Howie show, he is in the pranks wearing glasses and a wig (looking eerily like Tommy Lee) and speaking, and yet NO ONE recognized him. Holy Lois Lane!

12. micke77

micke77 Member

howie mandel and will ferrell.
    what folks see in them that's funny is beyond me.
    but hey, everybody to his own thing.
    maybe for a couple of minutes and then, let's move on to other things. like putting a "Blazing Saddles" DVD in for viewing. now that's funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted