1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly -- What happened?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, May 27, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was thinking a mocking column on the coin-flip possibilities at the Olympic Trials, but the more I think about it - there could be a good column, possibly a book (at least a Bill Simmons essay) on the most consequential coin flips in sports history.
    Football overtimes, baseball playoff hosts, draft picks etc.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Bullfeathers! You guys are just jealous.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think we've recycled this discussion as much as Reilly has recycled some of his materials, so I'm probably repeating something I wrote in 2008. Fitting, I suppose.

But I think what happened was he just got old. I've spoken with a few great longform writers about the idea of a shelf life for those guys and I think Reilly's a prime example. We wonder why he couldn't keep writing stories like his one on the suicidal high school football official or the Marge Schott feature, but it was probably unrealistic to think he could keep doing that.

Look at, say, Gay Talese. Probably the most famous magazine writer who ever lived. But when you think of his famous pieces you probably think of his Esquire pieces from 1960s and especially his features on Sinatra and DiMaggio. Both of those were written in 1966. Gay Talese since then has written a lot of really good stories, some really good (and some very strange) books but otherwise has practically disappeared. He just had the good sense, I suppose, to not churn out a weekly column for the New Yorker, where we'd notice he's saying the same things now about Anthony Weiner that he said about Gary Hart in 1988.

Dan Jenkins talked about getting bored at SI and not being what he once was. I think of guys like Rushin and Wolff and even Gary Smith, who produced such superb stuff for so long but eventually it wears on you, it's draining. And as one magazine writer told me, eventually it is easier to write a column. Less work, more pay. Less travel, more time with family, more tangible rewards. Even in that role we wish Reilly would stay sharper and fresher and more original, even if he's not producing classic 5,000-word pieces on Bryant Gumbel. But I don't think it's surprising that he's not.

Is this universal for all writers? Of course not. But it happens.

So what happened specifically to Reilly? A bunch of birthdays.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but that hasn't slowed down some of his contemporaries.

I think his stuff is sad, but sadder to me is that the four-letter doesn't seem interested in kicking him into any kind of different gear -- and they protect him by turning off comments.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You forgot the blue font.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how allowing comments would help. And Simmons doesn't take comments either.

Would comments kick Simmons into a different gear?

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Doesn't Grantland allow comments on every story through Facebook? Including Simmons' own columns?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not sure.

His columns on ESPN.com did not.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And aren't Facebook 'comments' by definition already pre-filtered?

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I thought Facebook comments were just like regular comments with the commenter's real name attached. I could be wrong, though. I've never commented on a Grantland story via Facebook.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The next time you're about to click on a Reilly column on ESPN.com, resist the urge, go to the SI archive and read almost anything he wrote from 1986-99.

The man is fucking brilliant when he wants to be. And as he's gotten lazy and complacent his popularity and his paycheck has soared... Why should he do things any differently?

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

LOL that this is in "Anything Goes", as opposed to a board about sports or journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted