1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly -- What happened?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, May 27, 2012.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Member

I used to enjoy Rick Reilly. I think it's OK to say that. But what the hell has happened to him? His ESPN stint has been utter crap. The latest:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7970997/siri-learns-thunder

Ugh. Was I wrong all those years, or were his SI editors just that freaking good? Or has he simply been mailing it in since he moved to ESPN, where he's been pretty much buried since he got there?

Maybe I've just grown up or something. He's just so...dated.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

bookmark.

3. mjslovin91

mjslovin91 Guest

Since when can Siri talk hoops? Must be time to update the iPhone.

But yeah, feels like eons ago when I would read SI back to front. Not the same since he made the switch.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ran a couple of things I've written through a comprehension site - a one-voice, 500-word feature from Sunday's paper and a live column from the Music City Bowl. Both came in around a seventh-grade reading level.

Seems about right.

Then I ran a 450-word letter I just wrote pertaining to a certain complaint I have, most likely to be ready by someone's executive assistant. About a 13th-grade level. Again, I think I hit the spot I was aiming for.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ring in USPS mailbox art.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Cute is no substitute for Compelling.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know, I kind of enjoyed that column the first time he wrote it, for Sports Illustrated in 2000.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/life_of_reilly/news/2000/10/10/life_of_reilly/

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Years late, to play the hardball pace-of-play dirge . . . never mind the players . . . endless commercials have cooked that goose, unless they go to three balls and two strikes . . . which ain't happenin'.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Reilly is so unselfish with his insight. And his modern sense of humor. Man, was this spot-on stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted