1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly wants credit for being first to Tweet

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsScribe5, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

TBL is talking about their most recent contracts.

Reilly's writing now is like a parody. Not everything is horrible, but it is littered with cutesy bullshit like "scrub-brush desert town" and turns personal even when it shouldn't with lines like "I get emailed stories like this a lot, but most of the time they don't pan out."

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

But come on guys! He's still churning out gems like this! It's a list of witticisms about the NFL fans wanting to stay home. Bet he's never used any lines like THIS before:

10) At home, nachos aren't 15 stale round tortilla chips placed in a plastic tray with cold Velveeta cheese squirted into the corner and topped by half a jalapeno sliced thinner than a Matthew McConaughey plot.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8639726/all-nfl-games-home-games

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Reilly's not what he was even four or five years ago. But to say he's all done is incorrect.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Really? I never stopped reading Royko or Grizzard until they were dead. I quit reading Reilly within months of him leaving Sports Illustrated. And from what I have read, in my book, he's done. I don't read him any more. I suspect I'm not alone. That makes him done.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

He was done a decade ago. The little moments of quality work were all mirages. This is his natural state. This is who he is.

Subject matter wrote both of those stories.

6. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

So I'm gonna be the only one?
    ..."good edition"...
    SMH

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He tells you his secret - everyone with a story e-mails it to him. He's the sports version of "Chicken Soup for the Soul." And I remember being irritated by the nets column at the time - it felt preachy.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Wasn't in editing mode ... but wow, that's bad lol!

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think if he wants to stay, ESPN will keep him. I could also see him doing something like working for the Golf Channel, but I don't know if they could even come close to offering him the same kind of $$$ that ESPN is paying him. I'm pretty sure the SI bridge was torched long before he left.

10. BrianM

BrianM Member

Isn't it possible, likely even, that Reilly was joking about wanting credit for being the first to Tweet?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I suck.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If that's true, he should become an actor.

Draft saved Draft deleted