1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly wants credit for being first to Tweet

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsScribe5, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's what you pay your talented writers the big bucks for ... to be practically first with educated guesses a 5-year-old could make.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Waited outside the locker room for 20 minutes ... black cast ... single shoulder shrug.

Now THAT, folks, is by gawd JOURNALISM.

Because he waited outside the locker room for 20 minutes, RR is a dogged reporter (not that any of us has EVER done that.)

He noted that Big Ben had a "black" cast. ... Cast? Sling, maybe. Cast? Kinda doubt it but whatever.

"Single shoulder shrug." Putting that in quotes even though it's not a "quote." I guess RR wants us to infer that if it had been a "double shoulder shrug" then all would know that Big Ben's injured shoulder was/is OK. Reporting a "single shoulder shrug" apparently nails it down.

3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Will Leitch on Reilly: http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/40284448/

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

What I thought was funny was that ESPN even made things worse when the network put Ricky Craven's name under Rick Reilly during Reilly's "report" after the game.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I used to subscribe to Sports Illustrated for the sole purpose of reading Rick Reilly's weekly column on the back page. I've got a copy of his book 'Hate Mail From Cheerleaders' less than three feet from me on my desk. At one time I considered him one of, if not, the best in the business.

Now I don't even consider his opinions or writing worth a minute of my time. I don't know what happened, but he's been an epic fail at ESPN.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This. It's like a baseball team making a waiver claim for the sole purpose of preventing someone else from getting him. Once ESPN got Reilley, I don't think they knew what the heck to do with him. And now it's down to tweet wars.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Rick Reilly is Danny Tartabull as a Yankee, Bobby Bonilla as a Met.

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Word for word. He's like a hall-of-fame athlete who hung on too long. He was great, the best even for a while, but I haven't read him in years.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

OJ as a 49er.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. joe king

joe king Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. joe king