1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly wants credit for being first to Tweet

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsScribe5, Nov 14, 2012.

1. SportsScribe5

SportsScribe5 Member

How has this story not already been discussed at length here? Did I miss it?

http://deadspin.com/5960039/rick-reilly-tells-stu-scott-to-credit-him-for-breaking-roethlisberger-shoulder-injury-news-as-espn-inadvertently-airs-its-own-sausage-production

Is it strange that a guy who makes as much money as Reilly, who's as accomplished as Reilly, still has to act like a teenager looking for attention?

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, it's not really surprising at all. I think Rick's always felt like ESPN doesn't give him the right play on TV. Pretty terrific reaction by Steve Young, though.

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

He's been begging for attention ever since Rebecca Romjin made him look like a fool ... :)

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I just don't get this. Who cares? It's not about being first any more. It's about being RIGHT.

Get it right, and the rest takes care of itself.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The sad part is that he THINKS it matters. Would have been a nice time for ESPN to drop an "according to sources" on Reilly. Hell, the guy fell on his shoulder, was holding his shoulder as he ran off the field and your big scoop is that he injured his shoulder? Please.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

air is good .... tom petty said it first!

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Rick Reilly is a disgrace. He's wasted more talent than the 1986 NBA draft class.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Steve Young was very good there.

9. I was reading The Big Lead yesterday, said Reilly's contract is up in six months.
    Wonder if he'll be resigned?
    What limited screen time I have seen of Reilly has been clunky at best.
    I don't read ESPN the magazine, so I have no idea if his writing is standing up to the increased TV presence.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There was a bit of a Twitter dust-up and ESPN on ESPN crime over this, with Ed Werder smacking down Reilly (before taking it down). Then yesterday, Jay Glazer ripped ESPN over Big Ben being out.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Does he even write for the Magazine? Jones has the back page. I only see Reilly's columns online.

12. Maybe not. I just assumed he did.
    TBL noted ESPN signed both he and Simmons around the same time and Simmons' star has risen. Reilly? Not so much.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/11/14/rick-reilly-his-contract-is-up-in-six-months-think-espn-retains-him/?source=top-modules

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted