1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly leaves Sports Illustrated - now confirmed by NYT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 19, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm still not sure of the point here.

Integrity is a function of poverty?

Sour grapes?

Rocket surgery is a more noble calling than sports writing?

Agate clerks should earn what secretaries do?

Reilly's salary needs to judged against the Laffer Curve?

Help a brother out here.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

So how much does Typewriter make and does he deserve it?

His bosses must love him though.

"You're giving me a 2 percent raise? No, no, I can't, please you're embarrassing me. I don't deserve it. "

And trickle down economics does work, so those poor guys in Nebraska will eventually get something because of Reilly's salary, like this guy: http://www.theonion.com/content/news/reaganomics_finally_trickles_down

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Trickle down economics does not work... not anywhere .. and especially not in this case.
    What the celebrities are paid has no effect on what the average newspaper guy makes.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

No one thinks so in this case, spnited. STG is quoting a humor story from the Onion as a joke.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

My bad.. didn't even see there was a link

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Sorry to have introduced the "trickle down" term to this. My point was, Reilly's pay might or (more likely) might not have any positive impact on others. But I don't see where it's a bad thing that should be begrudged him.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And I think Reilly will be doing more for that $2 mil than he did for what he was making at SI. Call-ins in the morning, afternoon and evening, tv show, bi-weekly essay, appearances on PTI or Around the Horn.

It seems like ESPN has been loading up on talent lately. Are they planning some new venture?

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think that having another talking head with no expertise doing call-ins to all the radio shows and gabfests is completely useless. He's just another guy with a mouth. In his introduction to ESPN, he uses a Kirstie Alley joke, for chrrisakes.

ESPN is loaded with know-nothings who bring pretty much nothing but hot air to ESPN: Bayless, Plaschke, non NBA SAS; Reilly doesn't have anything to add in a call-in. He's just another gasbag.

I understand John Clayton, Buster Olney, or Jayson Stark doing call-ins or appearances. They have areas of expertise and bring something to the table in a call-in or show. Reilly is just another blowhard trying to be cute.

Just my opinion. I've been wrong a million times before.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Here's what we've all been waiting months for:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3422420

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/57039/

Probably a better idea than bumping an eight-month-old thread.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Disagree, since it's the same topic. I believe topics of much discussion should not be forgotten when updates come along.

However, I did not see the earlier thread.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If he spent more than 10 minutes on that column I'd be surprised...

Draft saved Draft deleted