1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly leaves Sports Illustrated - now confirmed by NYT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Hard to miss what you never read to begin with. Kind of like the gibberish on the back of that maple syrup bottle in the morning.

Norman Chad could write circles around Reilly, underwater. And Chad actually has a real gift and ear for humor.

2. I'd take Reilly over Chad or Simmons any day of the week. I think it's a great hire for the WWL and a damaging one for SI. Yes, Reilly doesn't it hit it out of the park every time, but neither does any other columnist. The majority of Reilly's columns are pretty damn good and make you wish you could do that. At least, they make me wish I could do that. And anyone who's seen him at an event -- and I've seen him at enough to think I can say this -- knows he works hard. Guessing ESPN uses him on all the platforms from TV to dot-com. They'd be dumb not too. Hell ... they spent too much money not too. And it will be interesting to see what Simmons says when they play up a Reilly column over Simmons.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You don't get the feeling Rick Reilly really knows a whole lot about sports. That won't be a problem at ESPN.

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Bill Simmons, as a pure writer, couldn't hold Reilly's jock. Simmons, who has reported on one actual news event in his entire life goes after Reilly? Give me a break.

It's like a comic book verse Mark Twain.

5. So what's your take on Nick Saban's deal then?

6. Danny boy, you're always informed, insightful and well-versed. I like your thoughts here. You have a damn educated opinion if I do say so.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Mizzou, I wish you'd clarify -- I can't quite figure you out. Please explain what you think about Rick Reilly, focusing in particular on his recent work (say, oh ... the last decade).

Thanks.

8. sixthstjoe

sixthstjoe New Member

Re: Reilly v. Simmons v. Chad.
    I've seen Reilly a few times on TV. He seemed pretty darn self-pleased.
    Did anyone see Simmons on E-60 last week? It was like watching a 10th grader do a TV 101 project.
    Chad's a natural. He was good on PTI (what happened to him there?) and he cracks me up on poker, though he could use a new jacket.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Reilly doesn't seem totally comfortable on TV, but with time and practice, he can probably develop a decent on-air presence and fit right in with the rest of the ESPN chuckleheads. Patrick on the other hand, will never be an SI-caliber writer.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Rick Reilly on TV has all the smooth stage presence of Ray Romano. (Of course, you can't spell A Moron without Romano)

11. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

In regards to the direction the direction this thread already took, here is the NYT take on Drudge report:

"The site is a potent combination of real scoops, gossip and innuendo aimed at Mr. Drudge’s targets of choice — some of it delivered with no apparent effort to determine its truth, as politicians of all stripes have discovered at times."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/us/politics/22drudge.html?ei=5065&en=8e8c56803a2a987c&ex=1193630400&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

There are few, if any, Drudge fans here.

I hope.

He is the ringleader, and a forebear, of today's loose rules regarding the checking of facts on the Internet. A NY Times article about Clinton and him is no defense for posting unchecked innuendo on one's Web site.

Draft saved Draft deleted