1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly leaves Sports Illustrated - now confirmed by NYT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I used to be a huge Reilly fan, but like others, have noticed he's just not up to par like he used to be. He's written some memorable columns -- for some silly reason, I always <a href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/rick_reilly/04/25/reilly0501/index.html">think about this one</a> -- but quite a few of the well-written columns of late have been recycled from old news he chose to re-write a column on.

For as much as I'll miss reading Reilly, I am anxious to see a new face on the back page.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not sure about that last . . .

And am certain that SI doesn't have a stable of abject apologists at hand.

DLB's a good writer. But the "But he's good to his mother" pieces are a load of crap.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Perhaps I went too far with my final point. Verducci, Dr. Z, Phil Taylor are a triad of regular writers I would put up against anyone. And Silver's departure may have made SI a bit more readable. And of course, Farber is excellent on a sport I simply don't read about. Gary Smith, etc. Great writers at SI.

I do think ESPN the magazine is doing a better job of plucking the next generation for great writers.

Taken as a whole package, though, SI.com has many more throwaway writers and glorified former bloggers than espn.com.

4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I stopped reading both when I stepped away from the business awhile ago. I got back in the game this wummer and tried to get back into the habit of reading both. But I honest-to-God cannot do it.

They're both miserable pieces of work.

I can't help but think of that bumper sticker you run across once in awhile: "No, I'm not old. Your music really does suck."

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What is this in reference to?

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

RR's paycheck.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I believe that's a little high.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If they'll pay $800K for Bayless, I guess I could believe that they'll go to $2 mil for Reilly...

Personally, I wouldn't hire the guy at all...

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I thought you were referring to what he takes home in his Time Inc. pay envelope now.

As much money as ESPN has, and as freely as they spend it, two million might be low.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've heard he makes between $1.2-$1.3 million at SI now...

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Look forward to reading books from Rushin, if that's direction he's headed. Terrific talent, but the last couple of years, it seemed like half of his columns were either about his wife or his family, and the other half were the direct result of anagram software or Google searches.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Ballpark.

But what a nice ballpark.

Draft saved Draft deleted