1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly: I participated in Paterno hagiography

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jul 14, 2012.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusion_of_asymmetric_insight

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Who gives a shit about their martyr complex? If they get sanctions they can eat their martyr complex on Saturdays while everyone else is playing football. And they can feel like victims all they want. They'll never feel as bad as Sandusky's victims.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I thought Tim Dahlberg made a good point about how the penalties should be distributed.

Like him, I'm against them receiving the death penalty, but there NEEDS to be some penalties thrown at them. To do nothing would be like saying nothing happened. And we all know that's a load of shit.

4. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I found this story interesting, especially in light of the recent news. About 5 years old, I guess, but looking back, rather interesting. Just the mindset of what "Penn State" was and what "Miami" was. So different now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=fiesta87

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I am surprised there is no publish date on that.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm saying this: I agree with Hondo.

Sandusky's victims will live with their pain for the rest of their lives. Penn State fans can live with some pain for 12 Saturdays this fall.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Just wanted to add to the chorus praising that column. If I ever had to write something similar (God forbid), hopefully it would read like this.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Mizzou! I've never known you to post something so naive. I have no doubt there's a small treasure trove there. You don't get to where she is without it.

I'm still waiting for somebody to write Pat and Geno, the unauthorized story of bigtime women's college basketball. (Because let's face it, beyond those two, "bigtime" and "women's college basketball" don't go together.) However, the story of the ups, downs and yes, folks, the dirt, would be a fascinating and probably salacious one.

A whole-truth biography on just Pat would be good, as would one on just Geno. But the intense dynamic between the two of them-- this two-headed lord of an entire sport-- that would be great reading.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As many have alluded to on the multiple threads on this topic this story is bigger than Paterno, bigger than Penn State and bigger than even college football. The Paterno and Penn State failures amount to a cost-benefit they performed it deeming that raped children don't outweigh(out cost) the benefit of winning college football.
    If you really want penalties, ban Penn State from football for a year or two. AND don't let the teams on their schedule make up those missing games. Penalize the entire conference with the income loss of missed games and penalize the media partners with the loss of televising games. The Big10 and the NCAA enabled Penn State University to become a professional football organization with an ancillary educational component.

Let the journalists with morality start driving this bus to clean up college athletics.

Everyone associated with collegiate athletics needs to feel this pain. If dozens of children can be raped to protect the sport then sports needs to feel what its like to be forcibly sodomized.

Go forth and write the truth and make it bleed

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wish that the Catholic Church has done a Louis Freeh type investigation. Penn State still has a long tough road but the Freeh report puts everything out on the table and allows Penn St to start to move forward. The Catholic church is still in denial .

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

All Catholics must burn, right?
    Enablers, every single one of them.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I would read that, and I have no interest in women's college basketball.

Draft saved Draft deleted