1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly: I participated in Paterno hagiography

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, those are the main two. I'd be pretty surprised if Summitt has anything of substance she's hiding. It says a lot when the only person in the country who doesn't like you is Geno Auriemma.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But that's the kind of reasoning that makes me shake my head. The "everybody knows" argument. The "we saw him look like a douche on the sideline, so we pretty much know . . . " observations.

They may be worse than we think. Some may actually be better.

How many years did people have an image of Ivan Lendl based on what they saw on TV? Robotic. Lacking in humor. Typical Eastern European machine-like athlete. Well, the guy gets his teeth fixed so he's not ashamed to smile, gets more accustomed to talking in front of a microphone and all of a sudden he's wickedly funny.

But he was always funny. We just didn't know.

We rarely do really know. But we sure pretend to.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

That is just flat untrue. Lots of people, in Tennessee even, have a deep and intense hatred of Pat Summitt. It is usually indicated by the people who still call her Pat Head Summitt.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Great stuff by Reilly. I especially like the point that this really does cast doubt on everything Paterno did because it makes you wonder what else he covered up.

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Wabash College is run by athletics, so scratch that one off the list.

Great piece by Reilly.

6. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Congratulations. You've successfully defined humanity.

Nobody knows anybody. Not that well.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's getting more and more rare that a coach stays at one place as long as Paterno did. Coach K is one obvious example. Can't recall how long Bear Bryant was at Alabama, or Darrell Royal at Texas or Bob Devaney at Nebraska. It takes a long time to build up the following Paterno had. I doubt we will see that longevity again.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I want me hat.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Been on the Reilly mailing-it-in bashing bandwagon for a long time, but this was excellent. And it really makes me wish he would return to being the writer he used to be.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Nothing more foolish than a man chasin' his hat.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Was trying to figure out how to say that last night ... well done, BDC99.

Draft saved Draft deleted