1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly: I participated in Paterno hagiography

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8162972/joe-paterno-true-legacy

Whether you agree with the sentiment Reilly is expressing here, I admire the fact that he's willing to acknowledge people like him played a role in giving Paterno so much power. I think there is a lot of credibility in a columnist revisiting his own poor judgement instead of pretending you didn't write something completely counter to the eventual truth.

Also, writing-wise, the last line is pretty powerful. I'm sure some people may feel like the column is more of the same that we've already read from Wetzel, Doyel and Jenkins, but journalistically I thought Reilly's own disgust with himself was worthy of discussion.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Just read it. Great column.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Thought this was powerful, too:

"This throws a can of black paint on anything anybody tells me about Paterno from here on in. "No NCAA violations in all those years." I believe it. He was great at hiding stuff. "He gave $4 million to the library." In exchange for what? "He cared about kids away from the football field." No, he didn't. Not all of them. Not when it really mattered."

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Good to see Reilly can still bring it. That was very good.

5. Such absolute power, so little doubt.

He was a great man. An influence. A builder of character and lives. Then he was a destroyer. Now that's all.

That's what I think will rise up and affect most of the people who dealt with Paterno over the years. It sucks, but by God it's true.

6. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

That was fantastic. All of these columns will be more of the same in some way. His connected better than any other I've read so far.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

This is what I used to love about Reily, he used to connect on a regular basis when he was with SI. Wasn't able to say that in his last couple of years at SI and since he made the jump to ESPN. Well done, wish he brought it more often. I like that he brought himself into it, that he shared his own self loathing instead of just the same loathing of JoPa everyone else will write about. He also kept it short and sweet. He didn't drone on and on. He said what needed to be said and didn't get too cute about it. His best column in years.

8. Dark_Knight

Dark_Knight Member

I know we just had the bashing Rick Reilky thread, but this piece showed why Rick Reilly is Rick Reilly. Great piece.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Damn, good for him.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agreed. Jack McCallum has an article where he expressed the same kind of remorse for a fawning article he wrote about Sandusky's decision to leave Penn State when it happened.
    It's nice to see writers do what Paterno could never do, admit a mistake. And oddly, we think better of them for doing so.
    A good lesson.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hagiography sounds so Canadian. I prefer the term "going full-throated Brown Bunny."

12. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Damn good column.

Draft saved Draft deleted