1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly CTRL+Cs an old column ... again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

That's gawd-awful... both times!

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Fascinating to me that nobody takes him seriously and yet he still gets paid obscene money. What's the point of that, or is it just more evidence of how tone-deaf ESPN is?

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

But he's a BIG-NAME columnist! He must be great.

4. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

The amazing thing to me is ...

Somebody is still really reading his shit?

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

So the lesson here is be mediocre at best but make sure to build a solid brand. You know, kinda like ESPN itself.

6. AD

AD Active Member

i don't know, double j. there are plenty of things i don't like about espn but tagging them -- what with 30-for-30, the investigations by the fainarus and van natta, their longform stuff and grantland -- wholesale as 'mediocre' seems like so much kneejerk, hate-the-man posing. i'd argue that they do 'mediocre', LCD stuff excellently. all the endless blabbing and mindless arguing, berman's horrific nicknaming, the faux buddy-buddy panel shows can be nauseating. but the quality and the production is superb. at its best and on the whole, espn is probably doing the most ambitious journalism at a time when the industry is cratering. at its worst it's like britney spears. it does the awful but in a way that, despite yourself, you still find yourself with a relentless earworm. you're humming along and hating yourself, but humming along regardless. espn execs may be cynics, but cynics with high standards.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, there are a ton of excellent journalists and TV folks at ESPN, but they sometimes get lost in the forest of BS. I wish there was a viable alternative. But FS1 sure hasn't impressed me yet.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Reilly going to be on your TV more, and not writing his weekly ESPN column. Maybe he finally figured out he is fresh out of ideas and/or burned out. Though I'm really not looking forward to more of his horrible stand-up on TV.

http://frontrow.espn.go.com/2014/03/rick-reilly/

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

That column went ding ding ding ding ding da ding ding.

This column went ding ding ding ding ding da ding ding tsk.

Draft saved Draft deleted