1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly CTRL+Cs an old column ... again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I don't understand how he remains employed.

http://deadspin.com/rick-reillys-latest-self-plagiarism-is-the-worst-1519836119

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Writing about Reilly's self-plagiarism is a form of self-plagiarism. Whoa. Meta.

The point has been made. ESPN doesn't care. Just beating a dead horse at this point.

3. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Don't sully Air Lift's good name like that.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's pretty bad.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you are going to plagiarize yourself, why don't you do it from his pre-rimshot era? Or would SI cry foul?

6. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

To me the shameless of this self-plagiarization reads like a cry for help—like he's daring people to call him on it, that he almost wants to be fired.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Since he just re-upped for beyond-absurd money . . . sure.

It's beyond a joke, now. Nobody takes him seriously, anymore, and his TV work is banal and painful.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It's interesting to see the style differences between his employers -- ESPN, good to know, puts a hyphen in electro-shock, but "piggy back" is two words. We won't get into the "Psych!" vs. "Psyche!" silliness ...

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Well, if you're never going to get shitcanned for it and you don't care, keep doing it, Ricky ... Lord knows no one reads him now, especially after the "Redskins" misquoting.

10. It has been said again and again, but it's just amazing what a joke he is now, even at events. I've seen him at a few things, and sadly, I just don't think he's aware of how ridiculous he comes off. His questions are strange and occasionally embarrassing, and he has no problem interrupting news conferences or other answers to entertain himself or laugh loudly at something or interject with one of his eye-rolling jokes.

One of my absolute journalism heroes is now the biggest clown in any room he enters, and he seems to have no idea.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What's sad to me is that maybe he didn't CTRL+C this -- those tired lines are just all he's got in his head. Hell, I almost got to that same point with recruiting stories and volleyball gamers in my past life, except I wasn't at a major website making major major major coin. (And the stories didn't read *exactly* the same ... )

He should step down from writing and just stick to the canned video pieces for NFL Countdown and such, some of those are decent..

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Vanilla Ice thinks Reilly ripped that column off note for note.

Draft saved Draft deleted