1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Perry hunted at site with racist name

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Nice. And yes, there are plenty of things to bash Rick Perry about. Not sure exactly where this story ultimately falls on the list, but rest assured it is not the lone reason to dislike Rick "Jim" Perry. Here are a few of my favorites:

1. Economic illiteracy
    2. Unable to grasp basic concepts of foreign policy
    3. Unimpressive to many who know him best
    4. Failure to stop executions under highly dubious circumstances
    5. Obvious lack of intellect
    6. Obvious lack of preparedness

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It may have originated from a tip from one of the other Republican camps, but the Post was all too ready/happy to splashi t on the center of A1 without any additional details.

They basically used this to accuse him of racism. Could they not find the same folks the Texas Tribune found to "offer balance"?

Of course they could have. But that's not what this is. It's a fishing expedition. Instead of really doing the work, they put this out there -- on A1 -- and figure, if he is a racist, this will bring out more info. More people will talk.

It's really disgraceful.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think it's about "the left" and advancing an agenda as much as it is trying to grab the news cycle with something that feels salacious at first glance. The Post had an agenda, but it wasn't a leftist one.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Of course, when the "liberal media" "ignored" all the right wing's "evidence" that Obama was a furriner or that Bill Clinton had Vince Foster murdered, that was a problem.

And some stories don't need "balancing," which is a plague upon the public discourse. And that's regardless of whether this specific one did. Facts do not require a contrasting viewpoint.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with this. But, if any story ever required "balance" this was it. Did the name on the rock tell us anything about Perry or not? Is it part of a pattern?

Otherwise, it tells us nothing, yet leaves the impression he's a racist.

And, the press loves to provide "balance". Yet, it wasn't important here.

6. Dick Whitman

My suspicion is they wanted to rush the story to publication and not tip anyone else off. I think it was sloppy journalism. I don't think it was lefty journalism, though. Again, the tip most likely originated from the right. "The left" would love for Perry to win the nomination.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd bet a six-pack of any beer you care for that Karl Rove dropped this story. Native Texan, hates Perry, has national political reporters' phone numbers. Means, motive, opportunity.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I honor the pursuit of fairness in political journalism with a terrorist first jab.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

And yet, no one is calling out Herman Cain for running a pizza chain based on the stereotype all Italians are mobsters! Where are the anti-Sopranos groups?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Lemme check with my baby mama.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Actions speak louder than words. You're not a racist? Then don't hunt at a ranch with a big-ass rock with the n-word painted on it. Leave no room for doubt.

12. Dick Whitman

The problem is there seems to be quite a big question about whether it was painted on there or not. The story indicated, and Perry's team says, that the first thing his dad did was get rid of the rock.

Draft saved Draft deleted