1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Perry hunted at site with racist name

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Oh, please. You can cut out that self-righteous bullshit. There's no allegation that Perry actually used the word or is the one who engaged in "the conduct in question." If there was, the responses here would be entirely different.

I think most of us are smart enough to realize what this is. It's the same crap that goes on every four years where instead of focusing on the issues that actually matter one camp tries to score cheap political points by manufacturing some faux controversy over crap like whether their opponent wore a flag lapel pin, stood at proper attention during the pledge of allegiance, partied a bit too hard in college, had the wrong church pastor, or knew if an offensive word was once on a frickin rock.

And, fwiw, I think Perry is a dimwitted boob. If forced to choose between Perry and Cain, I'd take the latter in a heartbeat. But not because of silliness like this.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If Ricky Perry were black, would the name be OK?

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The man leased the property, which means he was the sole person with the right to use the property for 30 years, not the owner. Its not any rock, its the most prominent marker at the entrance to the area. You touch it, you own it. There's really only one question, did he know the name of the place when they entered into the lease?

4. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Nice backpedaling, Dick.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What the fuck are you talking about?

My whole initial post was about how I couldn't even understand what it was that Rick Perry was purported to have done wrong.

"I can't figure out if this story is too convoluted and the connection too attenuated to actually hurt him. Rick Perry once hunted at a place that once had a racist name. The formal name was changed by the time Perry hunted there, but it was still visible on a rock.

"Is that about right?"

How did I backpedal?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love how some people will question the story but believe everything the Perry camp says about it.

7. Raiders

Raiders Guest

For starters, look at your thread title.

To quote Moddy: "Jesus. That's the best anyone has?"

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Here at the Copperhead Camp, we only hunt antiwar Democrats."

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They'll hop away like bunnies in the jung ... the forest.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

In the Army, ladies and gentlemen, we call this the enactment of General Order No. 1.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What the hell? That's what the GD story is. Read the post - "for starters." I clearly questioned whether this is actually a story or not, and strongly implied I couldn't quite figure out if and what he did wrong.

I have no idea how I backpedaled. Zero. Zilch.

12. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I agree with the sane posters. This seems to be a nonstory.

Draft saved Draft deleted