1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Perry: By The Numbers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 21, 2011.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Re: Rick Perry, complete fraud

I know Rick Perry told you that's true, but the fact is that it isn't. Even where jobs have been created, they've been created in a way that cannot be replicated on a national scale. (And even if it could be replicated, you can't build an economy on $7.25-an-hour jobs at Wal-Mart.)

But do feel free to tell me about all those jobs that were created in the six damn years that the U.S. had a Republican president and a Republican Congress.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Random fact checker here...I believe this is the first year of this decade (or second depending on how you feel about 0 years), and I'm pretty sure Perry was a Republican on Jan. 1.
    Perhaps you mean this century? Pretty sure he was Republican Jan 1, 2000 too.

His democratic years were in the 1980s and that's very unlikely to matter. The 1980s Texas was still a fairly democratic state, mainly Southern Democrats, a term long since thrown out the window. But that's pretty much what he was then.

I'm likely not voting for Perry, but I love how the Dems seem to be so scared of this guy that they are just throwing everything out there to see what sticks.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Throwing the truth and hoping it sticks is the last refuge of a pacifist.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Any other state could come along and undercut Texas if it so chose. Lower taxes. Less regulation. At what cost, eventually? If it were a magic pill, everyone would be doing it. That they aren't should tell you something.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The nightly news here at KENS-5 CBS in San Antonio just ran a story that said Perry has the freedom to use the next 18 months to campaign and spend large amounts of time away from the state, all the while collecting his $150,000 governor's salary. It's because, report said, of an 1870s-era piece of legislation that took away all the state's top lawmaker's power or need to govern except for during legislative sessions.
    Perry, also, switched in 1989 from Democrat to Republican. Good catch, joe_

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I understand that politics are in the news, but why should anyone be allowed to start a thread that just by the title is trying to pick a fight?

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Re: Rick Perry, Nobel candidate in statistics?

He might as well have.

8. Mizzougrad96

Re: Rick Perry, Nobel candidate in statistics?

How about you start a thread that isn't picking a fight? You can't start a thread with this title and have a legitimate discussion/debate.

What would happen if Hondo, Tony, me or printdust started a thread that said "Obama, complete fraud..."

Some of us would also like to have a political discussion on these boards and considering how that is barely even allowed at this point, starting threads like this will just prevent that from happening.

9. Mizzougrad96

And I like your HOF threads...

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

CNN's reporter in Tripoli says most of the "minders" have left the hotel where the media is.

Sometimes it feels like that around here.

(No offense.)

11. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

The government doesn't produce anything but misery? No national defense/military? The government doesn't produce those things.....

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

One of my favorite parts of the story is where it points out that Texas managed to escape some of the damage from the housing collapse. You know how? They have tighter regulations on the mortgage market than most other states.

But government regulations aren't the answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted