1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Morrissey to Chicago Sun-Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigRed, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

Sun-Times is actually in pretty good shape now (relatively speaking, of course). Two months ago, it looked quite possible, even likely, they'd fold. Now, they have a new owner (a Chicago guy, too), the huge amount of IRS debt is pretty much off the books for the new owners, and they're out spending money and actually hiring people. Maybe no paper's in "good" shape, but the Sun-Times is probably better off than most now.

2. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Always amazed at how relatively weak those two papers are, given the size of the city they're in, the natural competition, and the fact that I'd think of Chicago as a "newspaper town".

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

weeks after that asshole was on RealSports telling us how newspapers are dead

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We hate it when our friends become successful. ;D

5. There's more: Brad Biggs is jumping from the Sun-Times to the Trib.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/towerticker/2009/12/midseason-shakeup-at-halas-hall-chicago-tribune-hires-suntimes-bears-reporter-brad-biggs.html

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I wonder who takes over the Cubs beat that had been held by the new sports editor.

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

DeLuca wasn't their Cubs' beat writer; he was their baseball writer. Gordon Wittenmeyer is -- and has been for a few years -- their Cubs writer.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I stand corrected ....

9. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

according to ed sherman, mariotti is not going to the chicago tribune.

from mike kellams, the trib's associate managing editor of sports: "The Tribune is not interested in hiring Jay Mariotti."

from mariotti: "Don't think I want to work for these creeps."

http://bit.ly/4RSQ2w

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The Tribune and the Sun-Times hiring each others' sportswriters reminds of that movie where Lee Marvin plays a U.S. solider and fights a lone Japanese soldier on a deserted island in the Pacific.

The war is over, but nobody's told them.

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I think that's a big coup for the Trib, so (judging by the story) is David Haugh going to take over Morrissey's spot?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Once upon a time, Ed Sherman was the conscious of college football. His word is gold...

Draft saved Draft deleted