1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Morrissey to Chicago Sun-Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigRed, Dec 4, 2009.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Apologize if this is a D-B, but I didn't see this anywhere.
    How is this possible, considering all the trouble that Jay Mariotti, like him or not, has allegedly had getting hired at the Chicago Tribune following his Sun-Times exit?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1921828,chicago-sun-times-rick-morrissey-120409.article

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Is this a DB?
    Stop me if you think you've heard this one before.
    (Morrissey reference.)

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That joke isn't funny anymore. :)

4. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Do you think he made the right decision this time? ;D

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Which paper is in worse shape right now? Aren't both going through bankruptcy?

6. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I thought this was a weird move for that very reason. If you're a virtually bankrupt company that needed saving, why spend money on a columnist, much less one who isn't all that great? Why not use that money for some more reporters? It's not like this move is going to gain that many readers. I could be wrong, but I'd be really shocked.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Seems like a boys-and-their-toys move to me.

My first thought: This is Sun-Times payback for the Tribune recently hiring away the S-T's sports editor.

My second thought: Maybe Morrissey caught wind that Mariotti is going to be hired by the Tribune after all.

Otherwise, stretching for a six-figure hire at a time of cutbacks and bankruptcy is odd. Almost seems to do the competition a favor, clearing that off their books. Unless the hire is, oh, Royko.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It's been all downhill since Bernie Lincicomb and Bob Verdi stopped writing columns for the Trib.

And from what I've read, Bernie landed on his feet after the Rocky shut down. Wish that was true for everyone who worked there ...

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

This does give the Mariotti rumor some credence.

Maybe the Tribune told Morrissey to look around for a new job ...

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe the Trib figures since the Cubs are now fair game and not part of the empire, they might as well hire a fire-breather.

11. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Lincicome, and Verdi still writes a Sunday column, IIRC, but I agree with your overall point. Opinion hasn't been a strong suit of the Trib in a while, though I like David Haugh more than most.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted